SOLVED CIFS share Shadow Copies, no snapshot option

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
I'm trying to setup Shadow Copies for my CIFS share.

Below is the dataset I've setup the snapshots for.
upload_2016-5-17_12-42-3.png

My snapshot task is for path: NASzfs/LanZFS, with the recursive check box enabled. I honestly would prefer only doing snapshots on my LanZFS/Documents dataset, but my CIFS share is at the LanZFS level, and my understanding was that CIFS and snapshots need to match.

The tutorial in the documentation chapter 10.4.3 then states to go to "Sharing ‣ Windows (CIFS) Shares. Highlight a share and click its “Edit” button then its “Advanced Mode” button. Click the “Periodic Snapshot Task” drop-down menu and select the periodic snapshot task to use for that share". The problem is that I see no such dropdown.

This is all I see in CIFS for that share after clicking the advanced:
upload_2016-5-17_12-59-49.png

Can someone guide me a little please.

thanks in advance

EDIT: updated to state that the version of 9.3 i have is too old for this feature.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The dropdown is only available on recent versions of FreeNAS. What version are you using?

PhilZJ81

Explorer
The dropdown is only available on recent versions of FreeNAS. What version are you using?

I knew I forgot to say something important... he he he.

I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. upgrade is necessary if you want the dropdown. ;)

That version is crazy old and I'd have upgraded loooong ago. ;)

PhilZJ81

Explorer
Yeah.. upgrade is necessary if you want the dropdown. ;)

That version is crazy old and I'd have upgraded loooong ago. ;)

I downloaded the latest ISO from the site about a month ago for 9.3 ( I wasn't brave enough for 9.10). :(

Can you help me out with the update please. Here is what my update screen looks like. It seems to me like all the options there are pushing me towards 9.10, which I tried once and failed.
upload_2016-5-17_17-36-17.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That is trying to update you to 9.10. Click the "Check now" and see if it's trying to update you to 9.3.1. Short of that, just grab the update files from download.freenas.org and do a "manual upgrade" per the manual.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
That is trying to update you to 9.10. Click the "Check now" and see if it's trying to update you to 9.3.1. Short of that, just grab the update files from download.freenas.org and do a "manual upgrade" per the manual.

I got a bit more luck with the the files, this it what it's displaying now after doing the 'check now'
upload_2016-5-19_0-5-17.png

I clicked update and as my luck goes it failed. I didn't have much time to look into it. Partially because my day was very busy with a million things and also because I'm very unfamiliar with this environment and the smallest task (such as finding where the log file is located, how to read it... the smallest thing basically) requires some googling.
From what I remember the post screen was saying something about a column didn't exist.

I reverted back to my default boot, so my freeNAS box is working fine at the moment. Is there a way to retrieve the uprade.failed file from the boot that failed without having to actually boot from it?

I'm really grateful for all the help so far. I'd really like to get this shadow copy thing going and after that I think I'll be exactly where I want my NAS to be. I currently have plex going, I've created backups from all the computers on it, so I'm nearly there.

PhilZJ81

Explorer
I'm updating this thread to 'solved'. Thanks to Cyberjock's reply, turns out my FreeNAS version is too old.

On the other hand if someone could help me out with updating the version to 9.3.1 and trouble shooting the errors I'm getting, I'd really appreciate it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you have two options to get the update.failed file.

1. Bootup the old boot environment and get the file from there.
2. Mount the old boot environment from the CLI (this is non trivial if you aren't experienced with this kind of thing on ZFS).

I'd do #1 considering your circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.