I'm having an issue with creating CIFS shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanlubber

Dabbler
I'm a self admitted noob when it comes to this product so be gentle. I downloaded the latest stable version tonight. I decided to put this on a VM before I dive into buying hardware. I have Freenas installed and access to the console. I dropped out of the wizard after login and created a RaidZ2 volume with the 5 virtual disks I added to my VM. I then went and manually added a CIFS share through the web console and clicked allow guest access. The share created fine. I was able to browse and connect to the share from my Windows PC. However I only had READ access to the share. So after some searching I saw in the manual to use the Wizard to create CIFS shares. So I deleted the share I manually created and created it through the wizard which lead me to click on Ownership which let me assign Read/Write to NOBODY. I finished the wizard out and clicked Confirm at the end. I pulled up my FreeNAS from Windows and saw the share but I was unable to connect to it. I went back and manually created a second CIFS share and saw it had AIO_PTHREAD and STREAMS_XATTR for VFS attributes. So I went and added these to the CIFS share created by the wizard and I was able to connect to the share and wrote data.

So my question is why can't I add ownership for the share when creating manually and why didn't the wizard add the VFS attributes which appear to be needed for Windows to connect?

Update: I was able to add the permissions at the volume configuration so the manual configuration works fine. But I guess the remaining issue is why is the share not accessible when browsing via Windows when you create it with the Wizard? I had to manually add the VFS attributes on the volume/share created by the wizard.

Last edited:

lanlubber

Dabbler
Hi, I have no IP restrictions in place, I see the share just can't connect to a Wizard created share. The above link from m0nkey_ is spot on.... for some reason the Wizard created share is not adding the needed VFS attributes. If I add the VFS attributes manually to the Wizard created share it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.