Another issue with SMB Shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank

Dabbler
I have FreeNAS-9.10.2 setup with a dataset and an SMB share mapped to it, but I can't access it from Windows 7. I've tried a ton of things - deleted share and created using wizard, created manually, added aux parameters, etc. etc. and have had no success connecting to this share. It used to work fine, but seems to be broken since the update to 9.10.2 and no, I'd rather not revert back since this should work in 9.10.2. I'm at a loss and still consider myself a newbie so I may have overlooked something in the config. The error I'm currently getting is "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS". Perhaps there is something in the logs? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have FreeNAS-9.10.2 setup with a dataset and an SMB share mapped to it, but I can't access it from Windows 7. I've tried a ton of things - deleted share and created using wizard, created manually, added aux parameters, etc. etc. and have had no success connecting to this share. It used to work fine, but seems to be broken since the update to 9.10.2 and no, I'd rather not revert back since this should work in 9.10.2. I'm at a loss and still consider myself a newbie so I may have overlooked something in the config. The error I'm currently getting is "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS". Perhaps there is something in the logs? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

What did you upgrade to 9.10.2 from? Perhaps send me a debug file via a private message.

Tank

Dabbler
What did you upgrade to 9.10.2 from? Perhaps send me a debug file via a private message.
Thanks Anodos! I sent you the debug files. I believe I upgraded from the previous version 9.10.1 because I try to apply updates regularly, but it could have been from 9.3 - don't remember.

Artion

Patron
when you upgrade FN it creates a new boot environment rather than deleting the older version. Go to System -> Boot and see what version you went through. See screenshot below:

upload_2017-9-20_10-45-25.png

Last edited:

Artion

Patron
I've tried a ton of things - deleted share and created using wizard, created manually, added aux parameters, etc. etc. and have had no success connecting to this share.
Can you please send some screenshots of the SMB service configuration? as in screenshot below:

upload_2017-9-20_11-14-2.png

upload_2017-9-20_11-14-43.png

Note that for windows 7 the Server minimum protocol option must be set max SMB2_10. My configuration without any auxiliary options works great.

So, first check the dataset permissions, then the SMB service options and last the share options. They must be consistent.

Tank

Dabbler
when you upgrade FN it creates a new boot environment rather than deleting the older version. Go to System -> Boot and see what version you went through. See screenshot below:

View attachment 20682
Artion - thanks for showing me that. It looks like I upgraded from version 9.10.1. See below:
FN_version.JPG

Tank

Dabbler
Can you please send some screenshots of the SMB service configuration? as in screenshot below:

View attachment 20683
View attachment 20684

Note that for windows 7 the Server minimum protocol option must be set max SMB2_10. My configuration without any auxiliary options works great.

So, first check the dataset permissions, then the SMB service options and last the share options. They must be consistent.
I seem to have encountered a new issue which is likely the reason I'm having this problem. I attempted to change the minimum protocol option for the SMB service and when I saved it I noticed the message at the top of the screen saying that the SMB service failed to start. I have tried starting it again but it says the service could not be started. I also rebooted the server and still have the problem. I see a lot of "unexpected sense" messages but not sure why samba is not loading. How do I figure out why? Here's what I see from the shell when trying to start samba:

https://pastebin.com/raw/2x6rgC3c

Tank

Dabbler

View attachment 20683
View attachment 20684

Here's my SMB config. Note that the service has been unable to start since I changed the minimum protocol, but will not start regardless of this setting now.

FN_SMB_1.JPG

FN_SMB_2.JPG

Tank

Dabbler
I seem to have encountered a new issue which is likely the reason I'm having this problem. I attempted to change the minimum protocol option for the SMB service and when I saved it I noticed the message at the top of the screen saying that the SMB service failed to start. I have tried starting it again but it says the service could not be started. I also rebooted the server and still have the problem. I see a lot of "unexpected sense" messages but not sure why samba is not loading. How do I figure out why? Here's what I see from the shell when trying to start samba:

https://pastebin.com/raw/2x6rgC3c
SMB appears to have started successfully now. All I did was change the guest account on my dataset to be the same on the service. Not sure if that was the issue, but I still can't connect to the share. I get a login failure error.

Artion

Patron
I see. Have you tried to access it by IP (\\192.168.1.142) rather than hostname (\\freenas)? Also, can you try to enable a previous boot environment and reboot to see if it works? This way you can exclude some causes of the problem (the update or something else accured meanwhile?).

Tank

Dabbler
I see. Have you tried to access it by IP (\\192.168.1.142) rather than hostname (\\freenas)? Also, can you try to enable a previous boot environment and reboot to see if it works? This way you can exclude some causes of the problem (the update or something else accured meanwhile?).
I've tried the IP - I still get the same message - network password is incorrect.
I can try the previous boot later today.

Tank

Dabbler
Here's a good bit of information to help. I just got a new laptop for work and it runs Windows 10 Pro. I have no problem accessing my SMB share on FREENAS from this laptop. The only difference, aside form OS, is that my laptop is on WIFI and my home Windows 7 computer is hardwired. Perhaps a file sharing setting on Windows 7 is the issue?

farmerpling2

Patron
Do you have user/password access enabled on both PC's? Check their file sharing setup.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Do you have password protected sharing enabled?

Look at all 3 groups and make sure you have everything setup correctly.

I always turn off File Sharing Wizard in the windows explorer->view->options.

Are you using homegroups? I don't and have never used them so do not have a lot of information about it...

It sounds like you do not have password protected sharing enabled in some way...

Tank

Dabbler
Do you have user/password access enabled on both PC's? Check their file sharing setup.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Do you have password protected sharing enabled?

Look at all 3 groups and make sure you have everything setup correctly.

I always turn off File Sharing Wizard in the windows explorer->view->options.

Are you using homegroups? I don't and have never used them so do not have a lot of information about it...

It sounds like you do not have password protected sharing enabled in some way...
Password protected sharing was already turned on. Changing the windows explorer view options didn't make a difference either. Must be something else.

Tank

Dabbler
Now I can't even see my share with a new Windows 10 laptop. I must admit that I am very frustrated with this and it's not just me. This is a common problem with FreeNAS and there doesn't appear to be a fix. This problem is forcing me to look for an alternative to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.