CIFS shares no longer visible on Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Hello,

after successfully setting up FreeNAS 9.2.0, creating ZFS datasets and sharing them by CIFS, I am stuck with the problem, that CIFS shares are no longer visible in the network environment of Windows. I can access FreeNAS via IP address, the network drive works and FreeNAS is listed in the router. Nevertheless FreeNAS doesn't show up within the Windows network environment. It is the same with all accessing Windows computers (Windows 8.1 as well as Windows 7).

This morning the CIFS shares showed up on my Windows computers after restarting FreeNAS, but tonight the CIFS shares have disapeared again. Yesterday I also installed the plugin minidlna, so I suspect this plugin to be responsible. However, the problem persists even if I disable the plugin.

Ideas on how I could isolate and fix the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Yatti420

Wizard
Can you access the shares via windows-cifs with ip address? \\FreeNASip\

bfasauer

Dabbler
Wow! Yes - it works. Afterwards the IP shows up as netwerk device in windows explorer. I also tried \\freenas\ and it also showed up. So now I can see the \\freeNASip\ as well as \\freenas\ in my windows explorer. Will I have to do this every time I restart windows or is there a chance to keep the CIFS shares visible?

Yatti420

Wizard
Hostsnames should work however sometimes clients/server or routers can get confused.. Windows does this alot for me.. If your setting up CIFs stuff it's usually better to use the IP to avoid hostname issues..

bfasauer

Dabbler
But how can I avoid these hostname issues? When setting up CIFS in FreeNAS I have to use hostnames, I have to give it a name and can define a path to the wanted directory. Following your advice, I can access CIFS via windows explorer (e.g. \\192.168.178.100\ or \\freenas\), but FreeNAS itself still doesen't show up as network device in windows network environment. So I always have to connect to CIFS manually in windows explorer (or by defining network drives).

Yatti420

Wizard
But how can I avoid these hostname issues? When setting up CIFS in FreeNAS I have to use hostnames, I have to give it a name and can define a path to the wanted directory. Following your advice, I can access CIFS via windows explorer (e.g. \\192.168.178.100\ or \\freenas\), but FreeNAS itself still doesen't show up as network device in windows network environment. So I always have to connect to CIFS manually in windows explorer (or by defining network drives).

Depending on changes you make to Windows you can stop stuff from showing up in network tab.. It usually show up for me.. Maybe shutdown and bring everything back online one by one.. starting with network gear.. See if that helps..

Edit: I forgot to check but you want the freenas box as a static IP..

Status
Not open for further replies.