SOLVED CIFS Share No Longer Browsable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
I have a CIFS share I had mapped as a network drive on a Windows computer. Previously I had used Exact Audio Copy to rip some of my CDs to FLAC, storing them on the CIFS share.

Since then I have upgraded the computer to Windows 10. Today I tried to finish ripping my CD collection, but ran into a problem with Exact Audio Copy where it was able to write the WAV file to the CIFS share, but when it tried to convert the file to FLAC, it no longer had write permissions.

I tried remapping the share, and when that didn't work I toggled the option for the share to be browsable by network clients. I then turned that option back on, and restarted the FreeNAS box.

Now I can no longer see the CIFS share. I can still see the FreeNAS box as a network device, but where I would previously see my FLAC folder share and one other share from the root directory when browsing on Windows, I now see that other share, a 'root' folder, and a 'homes' folder. Neither of the latter two folders are browsable, and my FLAC files share is not visible.

I seem to be getting a lot of these errors in the log:

freenas smbd[7119]: canonicalize_connect_path failed for service root, path /mnt/spiderpig/FreeNAS/root

m0nkey_

MVP
My guess is you're using UNIX file permissions, and some of your directories don't have the execute bit. It's my understanding that the only support method for CIFS share's is to create datasets with the Windows share type.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. My datasets are all set to Windows permissions, except for my main volume dataset, which was Unix. I changed that over to Windows.

Turns out I had checked the box for 'use as home share'. With that unchecked I'm able to browse the share again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.