multiple login for cifs share folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanik1

Contributor
Hello, I didnt realize this but it looks like I can only login to a cifs share on windows on one computer only. I have my main pc mapped a share with my user cred. and it connects and i can see it. Then i was using my brothers pc and wanted to access one of my files through the cifs. I tried to navigate to the cifs folder and then it ask to login and i used my user cred again and it says I dont have permission. And this message pops up. And the message seems to say that i have to log off from my previous connection to get access again. So i tried to disconnect my mapping of the cifs share folder and tried again at my brothers pc and it gave me the same message. Am I doing something wrong with trying to access my cifs share folders in multiple locations?

Attachments

• permission.png
    permission.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 356

tanik1

Contributor
So any know about this? Can I access with one user to multiple locations?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Windows will only let you use 1 user per server. So if you connect as tanik1 you cannot log into that server again with a different user without doing net use /delete for the appropriate connections.

You can cheat and get a second one however... if you do //freenas-server and //ipaddress Windows sees them as 2 separate servers. But that's all you get.

Unhappy with this limitation.. get rid of Windows. ;)

tanik1

Contributor
Thanks, I think windows need to do something about this lol.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Except winscp can give you absolutely horrible transfer speeds. So not the most ideal and definitely not the most user-friendly.

Whattteva

Wizard
FileZilla and since I'm assuming this is local (no need for security), just use FTP without any encryptions. FTP came around the time when connection bandwidths still rely on ultra slow modems, so it's one of the most lightweight protocols in terms of overhead.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a good idea if you want to do CIFS shares (which is what the OP wanted). My permissions guide (soon to be released) will explain why this is so. ;)

Robert Smith

Patron
One can also create multiple DNS or hosts records, pointing to the same NAS. Something like:

FreeNASMain
FreeNASforScripts
FreeNASforBackups

And then Windows will be happy to connect to each of these (with different logins, if you need), as if they were separate NAS boxes.

Robert Smith

Patron
And, to the original poster, you got the error on your brother’s computer not because you were still connected on your computer, but because, as Cyberjock explained it, your brother’s computer was already logged in under your brother’s name.

Ether log your brother out, or connect to the NAS using a different method (IP vs host name), or use the workaround above to create multiple host names for the same NAS box.

Good luck!

tanik1

Contributor
Thanks for all other recommendations.

But Robert Smith. My brother doesn't have a user name for connecting to the NAS box. I just trying to access the NAS from his computer to grab a file on it with my login. But its okay I made another CIFS share that allows guest access so that I can go in without logging in.

Status
Not open for further replies.