Why cant windows 7 see my server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leitnerjk

Cadet
I have searched the forums for several hours but I am unable to locate the answer to my question and any help would be much appreciated.

I just built a new server today. So far, I only have one 2TB disk installed although I have several more to install once I migrate data off of them. My system is not going to have any RAID as its just movies I ripped and if something happens to the drive, I can just reburn all of the disks.

My issue is that I can login to the GUI from my laptop and perform all of the setup but Windows does not see my Freenas server in the "network" folder on all of my computers. I see it in my homegroup on one desktop but on the other computers, it does not appear. All computers are in the same homegroup and I can see all other computers on the network, just not Freenas.

I have created a ZFS volume. I have created and enabled a CIFS share. I have checked "browsable to network clients" and "allow guest access." My goal is for several disks to be seen and for no login required to access any of the disks on the server. Everyone to have ADMIN rights regardless of which computer they access the data from. I have no group or user accounts setup currently although I have created a group and several user accounts and couldnt get windows to see the server with or without them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions?

Josh

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you go to //freenas.ip.address.here and it doesn't work your CIFS isn't setup properly or you have a network topology issue.

leitnerjk

Cadet
My Freenas IP is 192.168.0.10. When I type that IP it goes to the GUI. Is there a reason only one computer can connect to the NAS at a time? Some setting I am missing maybe?

ProtoSD

MVP
Try typing \\192.168.0.10

Windows 7 is just a PITA sometimes. If your other PC can see it, then it's not likely a FreeNAS problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
OOps, I did have the wrong slashes.

But ProtoSD has it right. If one machine can see it then its not a FreeNAS issue. Good luck fixing it though.
Strangely, I get better performance and fewer issues with CIFS shares on my Linux Mint machines than I do from Windows. How bizaare!

Status
Not open for further replies.