NAS server chasis recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underpickled

Contributor
That 300w PSU should be enough for my build right?
That depends. Look up the datasheet for your HDDs and look at their peak current (in case they all spin up at once), convert to watts... add up all of your components (mobo, processor, HBA) and see what the numbers say, estimate where you can't find a number. I believe with the M1015 you can do staggered spin up (to avoid the peak current happening on all drives at once), but I'd check that first and make sure you allow for the extra 10 W that card takes. 300 is probably fine, but double check your components. Also see how much power the backplane in that case takes. There's no way you'll be burning anywhere near 300 under even a full load, but it's the inrush/startup current you need to be careful about.

JimPhreak

Contributor
I have 8x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7k3000 drives. This is what Hitachi says:

Power Requirement: +5 VDC (+/-5%) +12 VDC (+/-10%)
Startup Current: 1.2 (+5V), 2.0 (+12V)
Idle (W): 5.2

I don't know how to find out the power needs of the backplane in that chassis as it doesn't list it on their site.

underpickled

Contributor
So the backplane should be considered, but you can probably safely bet it won't burn 50W. Maybe 10W or so, probably less. I'd imagine you'll be running these all at 12V, so startup power is about 24 W per drive. 8 drives starting at the same time gives you 196W. Add 10W for the M1015... then you've got 94 W left before you hit 300. I'm willing to bet the processor and mobo will never burn that much combined, so you'll probably be fine, especially if the M1015 will enable staggered spinup. If you want to double check, turn on your system with no drives, or maybe half of the drives and use a power meter to see what the max power draw is and then estimate the maximum with all of the drives.

EDIT: Wait, actually... strike that... drives use both 12V and 5V, so it looks like your startup power is more like 30W per drive. You could do the 300W supply only if spin-up was staggered by the M1015. Might be safer to go with something higher.

EDIT 2: Well, rather, some drives... my WD Reds only use 12V according to their datasheet

underpickled

Contributor

JimPhreak

Contributor

underpickled

Contributor
I do want gold and I did see that Seasonic on Newegg as well I just wasn't sure 350 would be enough. I'll have to do some further digging.

Seriously, if you're getting an M1015 just look into how robust the staggered spinup capability is. That solves your problem entirely. I'm using 6 drives, and WD Reds have lower start up power and I'm sure I'll be fine with a 360. If you have staggered spin-up you should be fine.

JimPhreak

Contributor
Seriously, if you're getting an M1015 just look into how robust the staggered spinup capability is. That solves your problem entirely. I'm using 6 drives, and WD Reds have lower start up power and I'm sure I'll be fine with a 360. If you have staggered spin-up you should be fine.

Yea exactly, you have 6 drives and I have 8 so that's why I'm unsure about 350w. I don't see any confirmation on whether or not staggered spin-up works once you flash into IT mode so I guess I'm just going to have to have do some testing for myself.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
23.5" is not deep enough. You want the full depth(30" I believe). And check out craig's list. I got a very nice $2000 rack for $400 2 years ago. All my friends are envious.

Here: http://www.server-racks.com/rack-mount-depth.html

We still do 24" post-to-post on a lot of our racks. Good rack rails are adaptable.

Be aware that the mount depth is not the same thing as rack size. In many cases, you want a substantially deeper rack especially if you are going to have it enclosed.

For example, I have a glass fronted rack opening into my office. Not counting door depth, it is 36" front to back. In the front, several inches are reserved for airflow (with fans at the bottom and top to circulate air) and in the back are two vertical rack PDU's. Years ago when the average server depth was 18-20", that left plenty of space, but with new servers that are 26-28", it leaves very little space, and causes interesting cooling design problems. The old HP DL365G2's had a depth requirement of about 30 inches, I want to say, and would actually sometimes impede outlets on the PDU's.

On the other hand, it was a recycled rack. Anyone remember Cisco AccessPath? Once you rip out the Cisco gear, you end up with a perfectly serviceable rack... :smile:

KMR

Contributor
Not sure if you are still considering a rack to consolidate all of your towers, but that is exactly what I did. I use the Startech 12U 4 post rack. It has adjustable depth and works well for my application. I have two 4U cases, 1 2U case, and 1 1U case in the front and a 16 port TP-Link switch in the back tying all of them together.

Link to case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MAPRYK/?tag=ozlp-20

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You realize you are responding to a thread that's a month old?

KMR

Contributor
The dangers of searching appears to be inadvertent thread necroing. Sorry, I'll move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.