Used server vs new build? Lowish noise a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbGvMWpXht4kEm

Dabbler
I want to build a home box for storage, media, local computer backups, Plex, OwnCloud, and possibly a VM or two down the road. Nothing too demanding, mostly single user. 6 disks should be enough for the foreseeable future.

I've read the hardware recommendations and I'd like to do it properly (Supermicro board, ECC, RAIDZ2, UPS, etc). I was all set to make a new build around the X10-SLL and an i3, but then stumbled onto threads about used servers. Seems like I can get much better value for my money by picking up a used Sandy Bridge server.

I'm concerned about noise, as the server is going to be hung vertically in a closet which is about 6' away from my desk and on the other side of a bedroom wall.

Any suggestions one way or the other? I've looked on ebay for used Supermicro servers and am slightly overwhelmed.

Dice

Wizard
I've looked on ebay for used Supermicro servers
look away.

reason:
I'm concerned about noise, as the server is going to be hung vertically in a closet which is about 6' away from my desk and on the other side of a bedroom wall.

they won't be for you.

I want to build a home box for storage, media, local computer backups, Plex, OwnCloud, and possibly a VM or two down the road. Nothing too demanding, mostly single user.
I recon you'd be good off with a X11-SSL-F, i3-6100 or G4400 (on the cheap side - which may turn into a bottleneck down the road depending on the amount of plex transcoding that needs to be done). Start off with 2x 16GB RAM sticks. (1x16GB might keep you covered). I started with 16GB, but just a few weeks later needed the upgrade to 48GB. I wish I had gotten 16GB sticks from the beginning.

snaptec

Guru
nearly every 19" hardware is to loud if you are 6' away.
If its just 6 HDDs have a look at the Norco cases and search for quiet builds

vbGvMWpXht4kEm

Dabbler
Hah yeah, I figured as much. Overly wishful thinking.

X11-SSL-F

I've come across some posts about FreeNAS compatibility issues with X11 boards - maybe those are solved by now? Cost is also a concern, so going one or two gens back appeals to me. To that end, something like a X9SCL for $55 and pairing with an appropriate processor leaves me more money for larger storage, or 32GB of RAM instead of 16GB.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I have the Supermicro SuperStorage Server 5028R-E1CR12L (2RU 12 drives), and it's nearly silent (especially from 6' away in a closet). It's MUCH quieter than previous generations. A tad hard to find a great deal on ebay, but I saw a couple out there. If noise is important, I'd go with a more recent generation.

Dice

Wizard
I've come across some posts about FreeNAS compatibility issues with X11 boards - maybe those are solved by now?
They are resolved. By margins.
something like a X9SCL for $55 and pairing with an appropriate processor leaves me more money for larger storage,
That's fine if you can find all required components to fit.

A X10 board tho, is probably not going to end up being a save worth the depreciation of future proof. Aka, half the RAM capacity. An X9 might be a bargain.

vbGvMWpXht4kEm

Dabbler
That SuperStorage server looks lovely, but a bit out of budget for my build!

A X10 board tho, is probably not going to end up being a save worth the depreciation of future proof. Aka, half the RAM capacity. An X9 might be a bargain.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. Good to know about X11 being good to go.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's up with the username? Looks like you used a random password generator to generate it. In any case, I'd agree with the others that used Supermicro gear and quiet don't really go together. However, @Mirfster says his used Dell C2100 machines are plenty quiet. They're 2U, 12-bay, and about US$360 plus shipping for a configuration that's quite suitable for FreeNAS.

vbGvMWpXht4kEm

Dabbler
Yeah I think I came across their Ode to the Dell c2100 thread. I'm somewhat concerned about the noise profile as well as the levels, although I'll ask in that thread.

I did in fact use a random pw generator for my username. Not out of any malice, just a habit I fell into a while back for forum accounts :)

Stux

MVP
Fwiw, My modified Norco rpc 4224 build is one of the quietest pcs I own.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Do note one thing on the system I mentioned... The Seller is appearing to be messing up on their configurations. @BrutalRage purchased one and I ended up helping him over WebEx. System basically did not have any of promised firmware versions applied. BIOS, BMC and HBA were all severely out of spec. Price is still decent, but if they are not going to deliver as advertised then that defeats the whole "Turn Key" scenario.

I have screenshots and will be contacting them directly when I get some free time (work is a bit busy right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.