NAS doesn't boot without a screen attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
I am using a c236 WSI mobo, i3 6100 and 16gb of ecc udimm. The nas boots up perfectly when the hdmi port is connected to a screen but when I try to boot it up without a screen attached, the nas does not respond at all - even if I plug in the hdmi cable after pressing the power button. Anybody knows what the issue is and if I can change any settings in the bios to fix it? I plan on running the nas headless

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
but when I try to boot it up without a screen attached, the nas does not respond at all
So you cannot access the GUI from a browser after typing the IP address (from another computer)
given at the bottom of the FreeNAS splash screen?

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
So you cannot access the GUI from a browser after typing the IP address (from another computer)
given at the bottom of the FreeNAS splash screen?
Yea, that and also I do not think that the nas even tries to boot into the usb drive.

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
I have not tried this but I guess I will try when I get home. I doubt it would though as the mobo does not display the bios if I boot it up before plugging in the hdmi cable, the screen just says "no signal"

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If so, this would clearly indicate a motherboard problem, not a FreeNAS problem.

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
Do you know what settings I should change in the bios so that it will boot even if the screen isn't connected? I already tried disabling the boot splash screen but it still doesn't. However if I try to boot when the screen is connected than remove the hdmi cable after pressing the power button the nas works perfectly.

rsarro

Cadet
I have the same issue. The set up worked fine for the last few months until the latest update last week. Now it only when connected to a display. Were you able to fix it by changing the mobo settings?

garyc

Cadet
I have the exact same issue as well. All worked fine for months and through several updates until this last one. Now will not boot without monitor attached. A real pita! Doesnt matter what the bios is set for. No monitor no boot. The board posts but as soon as the boot starts it hangs. Since it boots normally with monitor attached i cannot see what happens when it isnt attached. Probably doesnt happen to all you nifty supermicro guys. ......

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So 3 people now state they have this issue. Question is are all 3 running the same/similar hardware?
Right, this thread won't go anywhere without proper hardware listings. Just list everything with as much detail as possible. FreeNAS versions too, while we're at it.

Paul D

Cadet
I'm building a Freenas box for a friend out of a Gigabyte Brix S, model GB-BXI3H-4010.
  • Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • 16GB of DDR3L 1600
  • SanDisk Z400s mSATA 32GB SATA III SSD for the OS
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint ST2000LM003 2TB for storage
  • FreeNAS 9.10
I'm experiencing the same problem. Everything is fine and dandy while I have a monitor hooked up; purring like a kitten. But if I shutdown and disconnect the monitor to go "headless," the machine will not boot into FreeNAS.

I give it an appropriate amount of time to fully boot, but when I check it on the network (via browser or CIFS share) it's not available. I check my router to see if it is listed as a connected client, thinking maybe it's been assigned a different IP via DHCP... nope. The power light is on, but nobody's home.

The BIOS is very VERY basic; I don't see a setting even remotely related to this. Disconnecting the keyboard is no problem; it doesn't care. Just the monitor.

Connecting a monitor AFTER I've powered on the system yields nothing as well. The monitor doesn't even recognize the input, even though it worked fine when I booted with the monitor already hooked up.

WTAF?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm building a Freenas box for a friend out of a Gigabyte Brix S, model GB-BXI3H-4010.
  • Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 4400
  • 16GB of DDR3L 1600
  • SanDisk Z400s mSATA 32GB SATA III SSD for the OS
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint ST2000LM003 2TB for storage
  • FreeNAS 9.10
I'm experiencing the same problem. Everything is fine and dandy while I have a monitor hooked up; purring like a kitten. But if I shutdown and disconnect the monitor to go "headless," the machine will not boot into FreeNAS.

I give it an appropriate amount of time to fully boot, but when I check it on the network (via browser or CIFS share) it's not available. I check my router to see if it is listed as a connected client, thinking maybe it's been assigned a different IP via DHCP... nope. The power light is on, but nobody's home.

The BIOS is very VERY basic; I don't see a setting even remotely related to this. Disconnecting the keyboard is no problem; it doesn't care. Just the monitor.

Connecting a monitor AFTER I've powered on the system yields nothing as well. The monitor doesn't even recognize the input, even though it worked fine when I booted with the monitor already hooked up.

WTAF?

Hardware specs? Motherboard?

Stux

MVP
Is the computer actually capable of booting headless?

If not, you can plug in a dummy monitor adapter...

Stux

MVP

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
its a gigabyte GB-BXI3H-4010
Huh? That doesn't appear to be a motherboard. All I get with a search is a pre built computer.
And it only supports 1hdd, don't use this for freenas if this is really what you have.

Stux

MVP
Huh? That doesn't appear to be a motherboard. All I get with a search is a pre built computer.

Right. The motherboard is most likely specific to the pre-built computer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Right. The motherboard is most likely specific to the pre-built computer
OK cool so you understand that you shouldn't use that system for freenas? Only having 1hdd is not the point and you should just use a usb attached external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.