SOLVED Xeon E3-1230 and SuperMicro X9SCM-F build doesn't boot

Vlody

Cadet
Hi,

After reading quite some posts here, I decided to put myself a first FreeNAS build based on the following configuration:
- Xeon e3-1230v2
- SuperMicro X9CSM-F
- 32Go DDR3 PC3-12800E
plus all the things related to the storage, but not relevant in the context of this post.

Again based on recommandations I read here, I went for refurbished on eBay/Amazon for those 3 components.
Naturally, when they arrived, the first thing I wanted to do was just assemble them in the case, hook up the psu (corsair rm550x), and make them go through some burn-in.
And... as the subject implies... I'm actually stuck at the boot sequence...

CPU/RAM are on the MB, all in the Fractal case, and plugged to psu.
I initially wanted to go through the IPMI, so I plugged a network cable to the IPMI dedicated interface and monitored my router/dhcp to catch the IP it would get...
Till I got bored of refreshing the router's interface to no avail...

I then supposed the MB was maybe trying to say "something" when it boots (idk... eg. "Please press F1"?).
SuperMicro X9CSM-F has an integrated graphic with VGA output.
I only got screens with HDMI or DisplayPort at home...
After a brief amazon interlude, VGA>HDMI cable is plugged between the MB output and one of my monitors.
But... "No signal received".... Even though the MB seems to be alive, as it "buzz" when I got a bit annoyed and smashed som random keyboard keys,

So this is where I'm a bit confused on what would be the "best" next step :-/

I don't have other similar spare parts, so I'll not be able to separately test the CPU, RAM or MB.
My main track at the moment is wondering if this chinese made 10 bucks vga>hdmi cable is really doing its job...
But it would either requires me to order a "small" (no pcie x16!) graphic card with an hdmi output, or try to find around me some monitor with vga inputs.

Hence why I thought of coming here before for ... inspiration? :)
Would anyone have a suggestion on what could be tested/verified at this stage?

rvassar

Guru
Are you sure it's not a one way conversion from HDMI to VGA? VGA, being analog, would require an expensive A/D converter. That strikes me as being a bit of a stretch for a $10 cable.

Some TV's have VGA inputs. They don't work very well as monitors but, perhaps good enough to get IPMI up and running.

Vlody

Cadet
I confirm it's a VGA>HDMI: (link in FR) www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B072KR7MJW

But actually, thank you :)
It happens my display problem was in fact very simple (or one could say stupid...)
The cable is actually an a/d converter, and it's usb-powered by the host.
Soooo... that usb cable... should be plugged... (to my defense, it arrived with not a single page of manual or whatever! :p)

Long story short, server boot, ipmi is configured!

Now... on to make that ipmi & java remote thing works in a modern browser world...

rvassar

Guru
Long story short, server boot, ipmi is configured!

Good to hear. I was wondering how it could do an A/D conversion off the VGA plug... I was sitting there thinking "Is there a power source pin on VGA?" There actually is, pin 9, but it's optional, and often omitted as a key pin.