My NASty Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks indy for your comments, I was wondering about the cooler as it is a lump of a thing, and was hoping that a stock cooler would suffice, something low profile and maybe easier to install. But can they cope with larger loads? Perhaps I'll have to compromise.
I quite like the idea of easy access to HDDs but how noisy is "more noisy" :) or what about using single trays like the IcyBox IB-128SK-B SATA Mobile Rack?
Finally thanks for the heads up on the CPU v3 and the RAM speed. Many Thanks Wil.

indy

Patron
I dont think single trays would make a difference, the problem is the rigid fixture of the drives.
Rubber grommets and cables instead of a backplane help a lot imo.

PenalunWil

Contributor
After many weeks of reading and research, I will soon be the recipient of all the items below. My first ever build will be starting shortly... a new FreeNAS box running in a RAIDZ3 seven hard disk drive configuration.
I've completed a dry run type of set up using my old Dell Optiplex with nonECC RAM and that was successful, but was a purely an experimental project for learning only.

I've taken to heart all of the stickies from using ECC un-registered RAM to using server grade stuff, plenty of ventilation etc etc etc. I'm really looking forward to this project including the use of the IPMI, and UEFI shell and flashing the on-board LSI SAS 2308 to IT.
Wil ;)

gpsguy

Wil, what a joy to read your message! You've done your homework, participated in the forum and made an excellent choice regarding hardware and RAIDz configuration. And, you set up a test environment for learning.

If you're not already doing it, I would encourage you to keep a FreeNAS journal (could be just a Word document). Tip: put a label with the serial number of the drive on the visible end of the hard disk. If you ever have to replace one, you'll know which one to replace.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks for the hints gpsguy. I've already started a journal. I bought a hard cover writing pad where I keep all my build info from serial numbers to little sketches and possible zpool and dataset ideas.

I also note down pertinent things from blogs and threads not only from FreeNAS but also from the NET in general. When your a newbie it is so easy to overlook something :)

I just had a text to inform me my components are coming today between 12.30 and 1.30... it feels like Christmas... :D

Wil

PenalunWil

Contributor
As always its the simple things that confuse the most. I would love some help with the orientation of these front panel connectors.
There is a little arrow on the right hand connector of the pairs... which side do they go? and which side does the power LED + go.

I have this...
PICT0003.JPG

and this...
PICT0002.JPG

Does the +LED power go on the right hand side as we look. Like wise the arrow on those double connectors also go on the right hand side as we look.

Wil

indy

Patron
Take a look at the quick reference guide that came with the motherboard.
The pins are labeled either 'ground' or 'Vcc'.

Dennis K.

Explorer
Take a look at the manual, where the front panel header is described on page 2-19. Vcc denotes a positive supply line voltage for a pin. The colored cables are usaually the associated positive voltage lines. Take the "HDD Led" for an example: The red cable goes onto the right pin (no. 13) and the white cable on the left pin (no. 14). And yes, the +LED power goes to the right as well.

How the switches are connected doesn't matter, as they're just closing the curcuits. But Ground is usually denoted by the color green.

PenalunWil

Contributor
thanks guys.. I must admit the colours were throwing me a little. Usually white is the ground but then on "Power SW" the green is the ground. I'll connect them all up and show you what I've done, but I think it's okay. ;)

Many thanks again.

Will

indy

Patron
As far as I know you can not really screw this up anyway.
The LEDs just wont light with reversed polarity and the switches work either way.

PenalunWil

Contributor
thanks indy... I read that some place too. Still its nice to get it right first time :)

PenalunWil

Contributor
My build is coming on really well. I'm almost ready for the first "switch on" Just wanted some advice or a link to some more reading material ...

WHAT??? why have I taken sooooo long? The damn intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 CPU was a pre-order item. It arrived only 3 days ago. I've been staring at CPU cleaner, thermal paste, and cpu cooler for the last three weeks. :D :D :D
I transgress...

In the Supermicro X10SL7-f manual under "Appendix B-1 Installing Software Programmes" it says that "Supermicro ftp site contains drivers and utilities for your system / some of these must be installed such as the chip set driver" Although I can't seem to find it mentioned on the Forum at all:confused:. Perhaps its one of those un-writen rules that I would know about if I wasn't a newbie. I have the IMPI files downloaded and ready to go for the GUI interface. Also I have the LSI file downloaded ready for the "Flash to IT for the on-board LSI SAS controller.

Appendix B-1 states that the remaining Mother Board Drivers and Tools (Win 7) downloads are:-
Intel Chipset INF files. I assume I need this?
Microsoft.Net Framework(Optional)... ?
ASPEED Graphics Driver. Don't think I need this as I'm accessing from another computer via the IMPI GUI?
LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager I assume I don't need this if I'm flashing the controller to IT?
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise... not a F£$"& clue what that's all about.
Intel USB 3.0 Drivers... I've connected the USB 3 main MoBo cable so I should?
Intel PRO Network Connections Drivers... ???
SUPERMICRO Super Doctor III... This looks cool but read somewhere to install after flashing the LSI SAS controller to IT.
Build Driver Diskettes and Manuals ???

Here's a couple of pictures thus far...

Nasty box 1.JPG
Nasty Box 2.JPG

Wil

indy

Patron
Uhm... Freenas != Windows ;)

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hey indy... your talking to "El Noobios"... "he" who has never even built a Windows computer before, let alone a server grade NAS box. :D
I mean... if this build learning curve was any steeper I'd need spiked shoes and a rope. I'm reading all I can and applying as much common sence and logic as possible, but at the end of the day... I'm winging it LOL. Thank God I was good with Lego when I was a kid. :D :D :D
So your comment "uhm... FreeNAS ! = Windows" ...has just flown stright over the top of my head. You lot must think I'm mad attempting such a project with so little knowledge, but I can see the finish post and I'm almost in touching distance of the finish tape. (Big smile here)
Wil

indy

Patron
You dont need any of the stuff (drivers) you mentioned, they would not work anyway.
Freenas has the right ones for your MB already on-board.

You should however flash BIOS, IPMI and Lsi controller.
The controller is the important one, but you already seem to have it on you to-do list.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Just a short up-date... IPMI up and running, and the LSI has been flashed to IT. FreeNAS Version 9.1.1.3 is loaded and all the drives are visible. Going to add two more drives giving a RAIDZ3 across 7HDD.
I'm going to go through my z pool tonight and work out what users and datasets I need before I pull the trigger. I'm also going to look at off site back up options and also UPS, and any suggestions or links to other areas of the forum would be much appreciated. I just want to give a heart felt thank you to all who have helped in this build without which this NAS box would never have happened.

Wil

PenalunWil

Contributor
I've just been reading through the Hardware recommendations on... http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Requirements#ZFS_Overview
in particular to drive redundancy which states that in RAIDZ2 I can loose one drive without any degradation, and that in RAIDZ3 I can loose three drives. Is that right???

I also read this in the Forum...
matthewowen01, Jul 8, 2011

thedude said:
I plan to build a RAIDZ1 5+1 using 2TB drives​
i would go with a raidz2, 2 drives of redundancy vs 1. that way when one eventually dies, you don't sweat bullets knowing you have no safety net while you RMA the dead drive.

"RAIDZ2: double-parity ZFS software solution that is similar to RAID-6. It also avoids the write-hole and does not require any special hardware, meaning it can be used on commodity disks. RAIDZ2 allows you to lose one drive without any degradation as it basically becomes a RAIDZ1 until you replace the failed drive and restripe. At this time, RAIDZ2 on FreeBSD is slower than RAIDZ1.
RAIDZ3: triple-parity ZFS software solution. RAIDZ3 offers three parity drives and can operate in degraded mode if up to three drives fail with no restrictions on which drives can fail."

Wil

warri

Guru
Actually in a RAID-Z2 you can loose up to two drives without degradation.

The formulation is a bit misleading: "RAIDZ2 allows you to lose one drive without any degradation as it basically becomes a RAIDZ1"
This means that after one drive failed, you basically are left with a RAID-Z1 (which again provides redundancy for one additional failing drive).

PenalunWil

Contributor
At long last my NAS is up and running. I will have to make a few permission tweaks, but all three computers can now log into their own datasets and also into the media and public files.

I can now concentrate on setting up backups and all the associated stuff that makes FreeNAS the "Class Act" that it is.

In order to progress with FreeNAS and grow into this new world that I've now entered, are there any suggestions as to the best way forward as far as learning beneficial stuff is concerned? Bearing in mind I know very little except the basic use of windows should I start learning Unix or what? May be networking for dummies or perhaps ESXi or some other Vmware or is that a step in the wrong direction?

I've said it once but a huge thanks to Cyberjock, Dusan, gpsguy, indy, gjreco, jkh, N00b, Nindusties, and all you other guys that have helped. Without this forum I'd possibly end up as a statistic on the lost data sheet. Now however I have a chance...

Thanks again Gents...

Wil

PenalunWil

Contributor
I'm considering building a new NAS box and converting my recently built NAS build shown below into an ESXi 5.1 server. Do I need to flash the on board LSI 2308 SAS controller back to IR mode? Are there any known issues using the X10 SL7-F and this on board Sas controller using it as an ESXi host server??
Any suggestions hints and tips would be very much appreciated. All comments will be grarefully received. I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or starting a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.