My NASty Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenalunWil

Contributor
To start I just thought I'd mention my play on words title to my build thread "my NASty box" where "ty" is Welsh for house, hence NAS house. Get it??? alright enough of the joking about...

Well I've decided to experiment with my Dell Optiplex 755 set up in UFS file mode with four 1TB HDD's and get a hands on learning curve to my first venture into FreeNAS before building my main NASty box. The drives will eventually be used in my main build which will be my first ever computer build comprising...

Case:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-016-AE&tool=5
PSU:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-164-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2466
Mobo:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-E3C2...cket/dp/B00G9TZHSQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_1
CPU:- http://www.ebuyer.com/467647-cpu-core-i5-4670k-3-40ghz-lga1150-box-bx80646i54670k
Cross Flashed SATA card: - http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html
HDD's:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-396-WD
HOUSED IN:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-062-BT
RAM:- Obviously ECC and I'm starting with 2 x 4Gb (upgrade to full 16Gb later)

I may well change the Mobo to mATX with 32Gb RAM if I can find one with six SATA3 connectors

I can play around with the M1015 and the 6 SATA connectors to get the best setup.
I eventually plan to run eight HDDs but start with four. I'm not sure if you can add drives to the same pool as I go along so I may well have to backup and re-set the system.

It is WAY over the top for what I need but I think it's future proof. My main usage is for file transfer just for me and four devises 1 laptop, main desk top, and Galaxy pad, for my Architectural Business.

Comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Wil

cyberjock

Inactive Account
SATA3 doesn't matter for NASes. Platter drives don't even hit SATA2 speeds.

You should just upgrade to the full 16GB and be done with it. You're doing no favors with only 8GB of RAM. Not to mention after you buy the 2x4GB of RAM and will simply throw it away later.

indy

Patron
* The i5 does not support ECC memory.
* I do not see the appeal of sticking a m-ITX board in an ATX case.
You could check out the X10SL7-F which already has a SAS/SATA controller onboard.
* The 1TB Red drives have the worst price/size ratio.
* Adding drives to vdevs is not possible unfortunately.
* PSU is overpowered and will probably run at a low efficiency

Hint: more people might check out your build if they dont have to follow every link ;)

PenalunWil

Contributor
SATA3 doesn't matter for NASes. Platter drives don't even hit SATA2 speeds.

You should just upgrade to the full 16GB and be done with it. You're doing no favors with only 8GB of RAM. Not to mention after you buy the 2x4GB of RAM and will simply throw it away later.

Would it be wiser to find a motherboard with a high core speed and 150 or 300 SATA connections, may be a server type board with more connections on it?

Would it be better that I just find a board that contains 32Gb of ECC RAM and max' it out from the start?

Thank you for your comments cyberjock. I'm a total newbie to all of this and your comments are a huge help.

Wil

PenalunWil

Contributor
You could check out the X10SL7-F which already has a SAS/SATA controller onboard.

Hint: more people might check out your build if they dont have to follow every link ;)

Thanks for your reply indy.

Damn... how did I miss that. It has to be ECC RAM, thanks I'll look again.

I agree, I've decided to look for a mATX with ECC RAM ;) Also thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for the heads up on this HDD.

I thought this was the case. Another reason to jump straight in with what you want from the start.

This PSU has supplies for 8 SATAs, so I just thought that it would be ideal for this purpose. Also I'm sure there's and article/thread here somewhere about PSU being more efficient when they are running at 50% of their total power output.

Thanks for your comments indy, I'm going to refine my build and hopefully address your and cyberjock's observations.

Many many thanks.

Wil

Dusan

Guru
This PSU has supplies for 8 SATAs, so I just thought that it would be ideal for this purpose. Also I'm sure there's and article/thread here somewhere about PSU being more efficient when they are running at 50% of their total power output.
A drive consumes about 5W when spinning. 5w * 8 = 40W. 750W PSU is overkill. Yes, the spin-up transient draw is bigger (~2A on the 12V rail), but this PSU is still too big. The system would idle at about 10% of the PSU's full load (= very inneficient). See also: How to choose PSU compatible to your system?

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks for the information Dusan and the link. Regards

PenalunWil

Contributor

I've decided to change that m-ITX mobo for a Supermicro X8SI6-F Motherboard which Includes an Onboard LSI SAS 2008 Controller.

Would this work with FreeNAS?

PenalunWil

Contributor
In particular does the latest version of FreeNAS support the on board LSI SAS2008 controller?

indy

Patron
Any particular reason for that board?
I have a Lynnfield cpu in my desktop pc and it is very inefficient when running idle.
Also the mainboard seems to cost about as much as the X10SL7-F.

PenalunWil

Contributor
No reason other than I may be able to get that board for half it's normal retail price.

PenalunWil

Contributor
A drive consumes about 5W when spinning. 5w * 8 = 40W. 750W PSU is overkill. Yes, the spin-up transient draw is bigger (~2A on the 12V rail), but this PSU is still too big. The system would idle at about 10% of the PSU's full load (= very inneficient). See also: How to choose PSU compatible to your system?

Would the "Corsair RM Series RM 450 '80+ Gold' 450W Power Supply" be adequate?

PenalunWil

Contributor
Definitely :)

There's one thing that worries me... I'm hoping to use 8 hard drives and this has only 6 SATA power feeds. :confused:

indy

Patron
Well, than you have to cancel the whole project unfortunately.
But seriously, just get a Molex-Sata-adapter. ;)

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks for the links Dusan ;) and you too indy. I've seen these cables on e-bay but wasn't sure about using them. Its a newbie thing I suppose, just need some reassurance even on those obvious solutions. Thanks again guys.

PenalunWil

Contributor
I'm fine tuning my build to the following...
Case:- Aerocool Vs-9 Advance Windowed Midi Tower Case
HDD Housing:- 2 x Icy Box IB-544SSK 4 Bay Backplane SATA
HDD: 8 x WD red 3Tb.
OS on:- Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB USB 2.0 Pen Drive
Mobo:- Supermicro MBD X10SL7-F-B
RAM:- Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ValueRAM ECC Memory Kit
PSU:- Corsair RM Series 450W Full Modular Silent Power Supply 80+ GOLD
CPU Cooler:- Alpenföhn Brocken CPU Cooler
CPU:- Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1230 v2
Obviously suitable fans to assist in air cooling through case. Any comments would be appreciated. After reading the last few threads in ECC vs nonECC I was wondering about the suitability of the X10 mobo and need to check its NIC and ECC compatibility. Other than that would I be correct in assuming that this build is pretty good? Its going to be more than I intended to spend but I think it would be well worth it in the long run. Wil

indy

Patron
The cpu socket does not match, get the v3.

The 'Brocken' is a great cooler performance/noise-wise, but it weighs a ton - probably far beyond specification.
I like quiet pcs as well, and at least in idle to medium loads the stock cooler seems to do a good job.
The SAS controller likes the bit of airflow from the downward-blowing cooler as well.

Hard disks ten to run more noisy in drive bays, I like internal mounting with some vibration-adsorption better.
But if you want the quick accessibility, go for it.

1600Mhz ram is usually not much more expensive or costs the same, check for low voltage as well to save a watt or two. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.