BUILD My Hardware plan... Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
Hey Team,

First I want to say that I am brand new to the forums, they are really informative.

So if any of you dont know Canada has some of the worst upload rates among G8 avraging about 7mbit. Gross I know.

Thankfully I have a cabin in Montana that has a fiber line that that is 100mbit dl and 100mbit up. I am looking to run Plex that may peak at 4 simultaneous transcode and the perhaps 2 raw feeds all 720p (for now) .

I am also looking at transferring files as close to the 100mbit my internet will allow to other computers with over 100mbit internet connections.

So here is what I have come up with, please any suggestions are most welcome.

- Processor (Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell, 3.3GHz, 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150, 80W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31230V3)

- Motherboard (Supermicro X10SL7-F uATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150)

-Crucial 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B/CT2CP102472BD160B Unbufferd)

- Hard Drives x5 (HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 4TB 7200RPM SATA III 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit (0S03664)

- Computer Case (Antec One Computer Case)

- Power Supply (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 80+ GOLD, 750W Fully Modular 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G1-0750-XR)

- SSD for ZFS (Kingston Digital 120GB UV400 SSD C2C 2.5" SUV400S37/120G)

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Andrew

nojohnny101

Wizard
Welcome to the forums!
Builds looks good from what I can see. Those specs will have no problem handling what you want to do. That system should serve you for some time.

Any reason you went with 5 drives instead of 6? 6 x xtb raidz2 is a fairly common setup for some on here and seems to be a sweet spot for raidz2/performance/drive failure tolerance.

Edit: you could save some money by now getting such a nice SSD. I'm assuming you were going to buy that new and didn't have it laying around? You could find something much cheaper that would be just as good.

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
First, thank you for your response. I was under the impression that raidz2 was ideal at 5, that being said I will scale it up to 6.

Thank you very much for the catch.

CraigD

Patron
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
- Hard Drives x5 (HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 4TB 7200RPM SATA III 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit (0S03664)
I don't know of anyone who runs these drives but running at 7200 RPM will generate more heat without any performance gains that you will see. Also I'm not sure about the SSD component of the drives and how that may interfere with ZFS. It's worth looking into before you purchase, and I'm not trying to push you towards the WD Reds that we know work well.;)

- Power Supply (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 80+ GOLD, 750W Fully Modular 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G1-0750-XR)
I don't know anything about this PS but 750 watts is a bit much. For the system you are planning to build, 450 to 500 Watts would be fine if you are looking to save a few bucks. Here is a link to what looks like a very good review of the G2 version of this PS and you should look at this one vice the G1: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=380

SSD for ZFS (Kingston Digital 120GB UV400 SSD C2C 2.5" SUV400S37/120G)
Do you mean the FreeNAS boot drive?

- Computer Case (Antec One Computer Case)
I'm not sure which case you are actually going with since there are a few Antec cases with that name. Both which I looked at didn't appear to have dedicated drive cooling (fans in front of the drives forcing air over them) which you would no doubt need for 7200 RPM drives and you really want for any hard drive anyway.

The rest looks fine.

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
Everyone, thank you very much for all your responses. joeschmuck you are correct, i meant to say FreeNAS boot drive for the SSD. After reviewing your responses on the Hard Drives and heat I will be moving to a different case. (Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Rev. B Mid Tower Case Fits ATX Motherboard, Large Liquid Coolers Ready, with 6 Fan Controllers) seems like a pretty decent choice?

Also, why is there no performance gain by going with 5400rpm over 7200rpm.

Thank you for your help on the power supply, I have adjusted down to your suggestion as well.

Last edited:

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
IT would appear that the power supply I selected does not have enough sata connections to power 6 HD and 1 SSD. does anyone have any recommendations on a solution or another PSU? Thank you

CraigD

Patron
Also, why is there no performance gain by going with 5400rpm over 7200rpm.

Thank you for your help on the power supply, I have adjusted down to your suggestion as well.

7200rpm drive use more power and get hotter

Don't forget CIFS share max out at around 100MB/s even if your drives are faster the speed is not needed

Jails and VMs that run on the server need fast drives even SSDs

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
CraigD would that mean the entire raid array would need to be SSD if I wanted to run jails on a SSD? or can you add a drive that you would load the jail on separate from the array?

CraigD

Patron
CraigD would that mean the entire raid array would need to be SSD if I wanted to run jails on a SSD? or can you add a drive that you would load the jail on separate from the array?

Yes can be on a different volume/array

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You don't need your jails on an SSD, they can be run from your main pool.

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
As I am researching would it not be worth it to run them on a SSD array since they are pretty cheap? that way I can run WD red 5400rpm and not be concerned with the decreased rpm?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Speed will be more than adequate with 5400 RPM drives. You'll likely be limited by your network connection.

If you put your jails on an SSD and the SSD fails you lose your jails. If your jails dataset is on your main pool you'll get the same redundancy benefit that you have with your main pool.

CraigD

Patron
I have an SSD mirror for Jails I read that this was the best way?

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
Thank you everyone, trigger has been pulled! Now I have to wait for it to get here.... Booo

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have an SSD mirror for Jails I read that this was the best way?
Best way would depend entirely upon your use case and needs. For most it's not best or worse, just another way of doing it.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
would it not be worth it to run them on a SSD array since they are pretty cheap?
I'm going to repeat what I just posted in another thread.

If you're going to throw money at a theoretically possible performance improvement, without testing to see if you actually need it, start with RAM.

maglin

Patron
You do not need SSDs for your jails. Stop thinking about single disk speeds and high spindle speeds as you will have an array that will be faster than a single SSD. If using for typical media server and downloader your jails will be idle for the majority of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewParsons

Dabbler
Thank you very much for all your help and input team.

Status
Not open for further replies.