BUILD My First NAS - ECC on low budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, I've been following this forum for some time, and now I'm going to venture in NAS custom build.

First of all, I'm not going to make a final system, this will be a startup and with time I'll upgrade according to my needs, so my assumptions are:

- Low energy consumption
- Not to noisy
- Store my files shared between laptops, desktop, mobile devices.
- Torrent Download
- Serve Media to my MediaPlayers (no transcoding, just serve the files).

So, with this my idea for beginning system:

MB: Supermicro X9SCA
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030
Memory: (please advice the memory that I'll need, the minimum to get me going and don't over kill my wallet).
PSU: (any advice on a good, but not to expensive PSU? That can suport my system but not to noisy)
Case: (any advice on a good ATX case that is not big very big?)
HD: 3x 1TB Wester Digital Green (I now, its not a lot, but it's all that I have for now and it will have to work for now).

Please note that the plan is to have a system that does not need a lot of initial budget, but with possibility to on the future add extra HD and RAM if needed (for now this 2 components are for the minimum possible).

Other configurations recommendations are welcome.

Thank you in advance
Best Regards

Yatti420

Wizard
Similiar to what I run.. Case is going to be preference If your not trying to hide the server.. I've seen some really big lian-li full towers with like 20 bays I think.. I would probably prefer that route if I have the cash.. Too big of overhead with the psu will make it inefficient.. Basically 50-60W total with my setup.. If you move the greens remeber to run WDIDLE3.. You may be able to get away with 1 8GB stick non-registered unbuffered ECC ram.. Might aswell get 16gb or 32gb if you can afford it..

If your planning on transcoding get a xeon or something on the high end..

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, thank you for your reply!

Regarding the case my preference was going toa mini itx, but I can't find a good micro itx board with ecc, any one with a recommendation? The big problem is the price, the micro itx board are expensive!

So you think that my first configuration will go up to all my needs? (transcending) is not in my plans!

I'm looking at this memory's :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-13...4&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston+8gb+unbuffered+ecc

Or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Va...&sr=1-4&keywords=Kingston+16gb+unbuffered+ecc

Thank you
Best Regards

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm not a fan of running mini anything due to heat concerns..

enemy85

Guru
Asrock E3C226D2I or E3C224D2I mobo and fractal design node 304 case, are the best choices for mini-itx imho.

Soloam

Contributor
Asrock E3C226D2I or E3C224D2I mobo and fractal design node 304 case, are the best choices for mini-itx imho.

I like the specs of that board! Does it perform well with freenas?

Thank you for your feedback

emk2203

Guru
Hello, thank you for your reply!

Regarding the case my preference was going toa mini itx, but I can't find a good micro itx board with ecc, any one with a recommendation? The big problem is the price, the micro itx board are expensive!

The best value for money in the mini department is a HP Microserver N54L. It has the formfactor, 4 existing bays and 1 5¼" bay you can upgrade (modified BIOS needed, widely available) to have a fifth one (see my signature). It has ECC memory and a professional case, all for 175 €.

I built two mini systems before I found it and could kick myself for wasting so much money and time instead of going for the micro server.

enemy85

Guru
I like the specs of that board! Does it perform well with freenas?

Thank you for your feedback
Well for what i read here on the forum yes...there are couple of guys with it, try to search in the forum.
Of course it is a bit expensive, but it's even much more powerful (xeon support, 6sata ports, 2lan+ipmi, 16gb ram supported).
Of course the hp microserver is cheaper, but cannot be compared to this...

Soloam

Contributor
After some recherche I have 3 possible setups, the only thing that will make me go for one in front of the other is the fact size factor:

ATX
Memory: 8GB ECC
HD: 3x 1TB Wester Digital Green

Micro ATX
MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F

Mini ITX
MB: Asrock E3C226D2I
CPU: ?????

At the moment I'm pending for the Micro ATX, this will give me a medium size and a possibility for a better upgrade just adding more RAM and replacing the CPU.

Best Regards

Z300M

Guru
After some recherche I have 3 possible setups, the only thing that will make me go for one in front of the other is the fact size factor:

ATX

Micro ATX
MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F

Mini ITX
MB: Asrock E3C226D2I
CPU: ?????

At the moment I'm pending for the Micro ATX, this will give me a medium size and a possibility for a better upgrade just adding more RAM and replacing the CPU.

Best Regards
You're not considering one of the Supermicro X10... motherboards? Some people suggest that the later-model CPUs are more efficient.

Soloam

Contributor
They are more expensive, I would prefer to get the extra money and invest them in a better CPU or more RAM if I had the chance

Soloam

Contributor
Can any one help me, in my system I have, at the moment, only 3 x 1TB. The only solution is to use RAIDZ1, But I've read about RAIDz1 "died", but I didn't understand what that means!

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. get a 4th disk and you will be able to do RAIDZ2.

Soloam

Contributor
But way is that? In RAIDz1 if one drive dies, can't I rebuild the array with a new one? Why "dead"?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
read the link.. that explains it.

Soloam

Contributor
I did, lots of technical stuff that for someone new is confusing! But I see that it can really compromise my data! That the problem goes beyond the bad luck of damaging 2 drives at the same time!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I did, lots of technical stuff that for someone new is confusing! But I see that it can really compromise my data! That the problem goes beyond the bad luck of damaging 2 drives at the same time!

Short answer:
RAIDZ1 can only tolerate one drive failing at a time. If you lose one drive and have an error while rebuilding (which is mathematically likely on large, consumer-grade drives, especially as a rebuild reads from all the other drives in the set) you will lose the entire pool and all the data on it.

Do try to read over it again, the technical stuff is important to really get a good handle on your server. Think of it like driving a car vs. knowing how to maintain it - you're a lot more confident when you know what's going on under the hood. But it's still good that even if you don't fully comprehend the warning, you're at least heeding it rather than insisting on making the same mistake yourself. :)

Soloam

Contributor
Thank you all for yours replays! Now all I need is to place the order!

Enviado do meu GT-P5210 através de Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.