BUILD My First NAS - ECC "NOT" on low budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
A few days ago I made a thread "My First NAS - ECC on low budget", but after a lot of research, and reading carefully a lot of thread's, and advices from cyberjock (thank you for pointing me in the right direction) I decided to change my initial setup and make a better system and ensure the further. So this is my new setup and I would like to ear all your's feedback:

My idea is to have a system that I can easily update if needed and be able to transcode with plex.

I'm still analyzing the final configuration, I'll use this topic to show, to other interested users, my "brain storming" on deciding what parts to get. I hope with this that other noob's like me can find a suport on how to select the material, and not to rush selecting the first thing that comes to mind.

--------------------------------------------------
Initial Configuration (26/02/2014)

MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
RAM:Kingston 16GB (Kit 2x8GB) DDR3-1333 ECC CL9 w/TS
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
HD: 4x 1TB Wester Digital Green (upgrading as needed)
PSU: (Can any on advice a good PSU but not very expensive?)

Selection Explain

MB:
I only wanted one brand, SuperMicro, they are marked as being the most reliable. I wanted a uATX form mobo (I want a small system). After some research I ended up with 2 mobo's, as being the best in my price range (around 200€).

SuperMicro X10SLM-F
SuperMicro X10SL7-F

My decision was the X10SL7-F because of number of drives. The X10SLM-F only has 6 drives. The X10sl7 has an onboard LSI 2308 controller. That means 8 more SATA connectors (6 + 8 = 14) when flushing it to IT mode. IT mode is removing the onbord RAID functionality, living that to FreeNas, that is the way to go when you have mobo's with onboard RAID. With 14 drives I can update my system with more HDD's in the further

CPU:
I need a fast processor to be able to transcode movies with plex, my board can take 1150 CPU's. When on transcoading, Xeon is the best way to go, lots of power and the required ECC support. The 1230V3 has the choice to my budget. I would prefer more RAM that upgrading to a better CPU at this point.

RAM:
I need ECC support to run RAIDz2 without any problems, and I'm aiming to 16GB, I would prefer more RAM, at this point I can't afford to do that, my choice when to the Kingston because of beeing a brand of choice (on my opinion) on RAM (New Update (05/03/2014))

Case:
I what a small system, at this point I'm not sure on the case, I'll aim at the Fractal Design Define Mini, but I'll have to come back to this point latter. (New Update (05/03/2014))

HD:
At the moment I already have 3x 1TB WD Green, I'll get one extra 1TB HDD and save money on a complete RAID array.

New Update (05/03/2014)

RAM: 2x SuperMicro 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz ECC Unbuffered (NEW)
Case: Lian Li PC-V354 (NEW)
PSU: Seasonic 360W Gold PSU (NEW)

Thank you
Best Regards

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Kingston is no longer claiming the Supermicro X10 as compatible. Smart money is currently to avoid Kingston if you have an X10.

JohnK

Patron

Z300M

Guru

Soloam

Contributor
The problem is that I can't find those memories selling in Europe. And I can't buy them over sea, because that would be a problem with customs control.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, find a vendor with an acceptable returns policy and then you can try it and see what happens. The 1333 may be just slower enough that it works or something.

Soloam

Contributor
I'm choosing the case, I wanted something small but it could handle at least 6 hdd (I don't care about hot swap), but the only that cathes my eye is the Lian Li v354 http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v354/ but the price, is crazy!

Any recommendations on a small mATX case that can handle 6 hdd? Or do I need to kill all my budget on a case? The factral that I was looking at is bigger, I would prefer something small as the Lian Li!

Best regards
Thank you

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hi Soloam, My build is very similar to yours (see below) the motherboard manual recommends that the PSU is connected to both the JPW1;-24pin ATX coonector and the JPW2;- +12v 8pin CPU Power connectors, and the Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 550W has both of these connectors.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...mi-Modular-Power-Supply--BN200-pid-19285.html

I've also spoken to Server Case UK ( http://www.servercase.co.uk/ ) who recommend the Hynix RAM as being compatible with this board. My board has been order today along with 2 x 8GB Hynix RAM.

The rest of the build I'm getting from SCAN :- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...e-33ghz-base-37ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-80w-retail

I was pondering if I would lose out by buying the Intel Xeon 1220 v3 as opposed to the Intel Xeon 1230 v3.

I'll be honest the cost of my overall build is a lot more than I initially thought which is now a fraction under £1000.00 however I put a high price on my data so it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. My next issue is the best way to back up my data off site and should I get an UPS.

PenalunWil

Contributor

Soloam

Contributor
I've also spoken to Server Case UK ( http://www.servercase.co.uk/ ) who recommend the Hynix RAM as being compatible with this board. My board has been order today along with 2 x 8GB Hynix RAM.

Oh ok, so what made you replace your original order? Your URL points to Supermicro RAM, not Hynix

Thank you
Best Regards

PenalunWil

Contributor
Basically I'm a newbie to all this stuff so I'm totally in the hands of those who provide the information and advice. This along with the stuff I've read here on FreeNAS and other Googled items is the only knowledge I have on what's the best to purchase. I mean your talking to a guy who thought a root was something in the garden. % $

While I'm on about this FreeNAS forum... I know its been said a load of times in the past but we have to give a huge HUGE thank you to the likes of Cyberjock, jgreco, and many more who give up their free time to help and advise. Guys you are right up there as far as I'm concerned.. the best of the best. Any newbie who is considering a new build for the first time has a wealth of information sitting on this Forum, and he would be well advised to spend at least a month or more just going through the stickies and other parts of the forum before making any decision about a build. A big big thank you Gentlemen from me.

Back to your question Soloam, the reason why I changed from Kingston to Hynix is that the people at Servercase UK sell a lot of Supermicro mobo's and this is the RAM they guarantee will work with the X10 SL7-F. It's a little more expensive that I was expecting but I don't want to hear or read any problems or comments further down the line that is going to put doubts in my head about my NAS build. My moto is "lets get it right from the start and the rest should be plain sailing".

I do have a few issues to sort out
a) CPU coolers - which would be best for a home server for me in a mATX case just three users maximum, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or can I use a good low profile cooler.
b) PSU, Corsair or Be Quiet.
and
c) Flashing the on-board LSI SAS 23208 to IT, which is worrying me as I've never done anything like this before and I don't want to brick the whole motherboard.

All I have at the moment is my case and flash drive for the OS, my Mobo and Ram will be here with me by next week and then the rest of the stuff hopefully the week after. Am I excited... you betcha. Big smile here.. I'm loving every minute.

best regards

Wil

Soloam

Contributor
I'm still analyzing the final configuration, I'll use this topic to show, to other interested users, my "brain storming" on deciding what parts to get. I hope with this that other noob's like me can find a suport on how to select the material, and not to rush selecting the first thing that comes to mind.

New update:

New configuration

Selection Explain

RAM:
I updated the RAM so that I get the ones recommended by SuperMicro,that way I'll have a more reliable final system.

Case:
The new case of Lian Li will make my system more compact and still maintain the HDD space.I what a small system, but the Lian Li is very expensive, I'm studding alternatives, but it seems to be the best choice so far.

PSU:
I selected the Seasonic PSU because of the great reviews, and at a great price.

Best regards
Soloam

joelmusicman

Patron

New update:

New configuration

I updated the RAM so that I get the ones recommended by SuperMicro, the new case of Lian Li will make my system more compact and still maintain the HDD space. I selected the PSU because of the great reviews, and at a great price.

Best regards
Soloam

Solid choices.

ran

Dabbler

Selection Explain

RAM:
I updated the RAM so that I get the ones recommended by SuperMicro,that way I'll have a more reliable final system.

Where did you see this recommendation? I looked at the tested memory list and I only see Hynix, Samsung, and Micron. Maybe you have a link where they recommend this? I'm searching the FreeNAS forums to see if anyone has been able to use any other memory not on the tested list. I know very little about the tested ones. I am unfamiliar with Hynix and thought Micron went out of business years ago. I'm leaning towards buying the Samsung modules at this point.

Soloam

Contributor
I contacted http://www.servercase.co.uk/ and they recommended me this memories (like to PenalunWil), if you notice the name on the store is:

Supermicro - MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16 and and the recommended ones are MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16, they have the same number. I think that Hynix builds this memories to Supermicro, and they are the same.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SuperMicro often sells parts on their compatibility list, but they also list the manufacturer's part number so you can get it with or without the SuperMicro branding.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Find the correct compatibility guide for your board and look at all the part numbers. They will list a Supermicro part number, if any is available, then the module manufacturer's part number, and then the DRAM chip part number associated with it.

Z300M

Guru
I contacted http://www.servercase.co.uk/ and they recommended me this memories (like to PenalunWil), if you notice the name on the store is:

Supermicro - MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16 and and the recommended ones are MEM-DR380L-HL01-EU16, they have the same number. I think that Hynix builds this memories to Supermicro, and they are the same.
I didn't realize that the number in the first column was a Supermicro Part No. -- especially when it's not a clickable link.

Status
Not open for further replies.