My First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy4Breezy

Cadet
Hi,

i'm looking into building my very first Storage Server.
So i came over FreeNAS and decided to stick with it.
I tested some things in a VM to make things clearer and understand how it works.

Mainboard:
I can not clearly choose between them both, the only major thing is that the X11SSH-F has 5 power phases and a slot for an M.2 card.
The X11SSM-F has "only" 3 power phases and is missing the option for an M.2 card.

Supermicro X11SSM-F retail (MBD-X11SSM-F-O)
Supermicro X11SSH-F retail (MBD-X11SSH-F-O)

RAM:
32 GB ECC RAM, maybe you can recommend some.
Maybe 2x 16GB, that i can upgrade later if needed?

CPU:
Intel Pentium Gold G4600 as this one is supporting ECC (G4560 is only 2€ less)

HDDs:
8x 8TB WD Red (or maybe Pros)

SAS-Controller:
Dell Perc H310 and flash it to LSI9211-8i in IT Mode.

For the case and psu i am still looking what will fit.

Maybe you can help me out a bit :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the only major thing is that the X11SSH-F has 5 power phases
Huh, I never noticed the CPU power supplies were different. How weird...

In any case, it won't make a real difference. These are server boards and they're designed to operate in such conditions.

The X11SSM-F has two more PCIe lanes available than the X11SSH-F, which routes two (yes, two) lanes to the M.2 slot and two to the empty pads where the extra NICs from the X11SSH-LN4F would be. And it's more expensive than an X11SSM-F plus an M.2 adapter.

tvsjr

Guru
Unless you really need it, skip the Pros... they're more money and will run hotter.

Easy4Breezy

Cadet
Huh, I never noticed the CPU power supplies were different. How weird...
In any case, it won't make a real difference. These are server boards and they're designed to operate in such conditions.

Yeah, i wondered about that aswell, but regarding to the specs from other sites and from the pictures i think this is the truth.

The X11SSM-F has two more PCIe lanes available than the X11SSH-F, which routes two (yes, two) lanes to the M.2 slot and two to the empty pads where the extra NICs from the X11SSH-LN4F would be. And it's more expensive than an X11SSM-F plus an M.2 adapter.

I don't really need the M.2 option, as i will run FreeNas from an USB3 stick. And two extra lanes are always great.
If really needed in the future i could add an extra 10GB NIC, but at the moment 1GB is just fine.

But i am also still wondering if my cpu is beefy enough? I guess a Xeon E3 would be the better choice?

Unless you really need it, skip the Pros... they're more money and will run hotter.
Yep, i think i will stick to the normal reds, think they should do their job just fine

Evertb1

Guru
But i am also still wondering if my cpu is beefy enough? I guess a Xeon E3 would be the better choice?
That is depending on what you want to do with your FreeNAS server. If it will be just storage I think a Pentium will do a great job for you and for an affordable price (there are plenty of users with a comparable CPU). If you want more then that (running VM's and/or Plex plugins etc.) then you should reconsider the Pentium in favour of a Xeon. Mind you, with it's PassMark of 5143 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G4600+@+3.60GHz the Pentium it is a lot of bang for the buck..

Easy4Breezy

Cadet
That is depending on what you want to do with your FreeNAS server.

Nothing really fancy. Just a normal storage server with SMB shares to windows clients. At the moment i have an i3-4160 with an MSI mainboard, but without raid and ECC.

Evertb1

Guru
Nothing really fancy. Just a normal storage server with SMB shares to windows clients. At the moment i have an i3-4160 with an MSI mainboard, but without raid and ECC.
I you are sure of your needs, the Pentium should be a safe and good buy. It's performance compares to your i3. On the right motherboard your i3 would also not be a bad choice, but the Haswell/FCLGA1150 platform is becoming a bit old and it supports less memory.

Easy4Breezy

Cadet
I you are sure of your needs, the Pentium should be a safe and good buy. It's performance compares to your i3. On the right motherboard your i3 would also not be a bad choice, but the Haswell/FCLGA1150 platform is becoming a bit old and it supports less memory.

Maybe i will add an E3 later, but yeah, for now the Pentium is fine. And i could add an E3 later anyways if i really need more power.
And i want a build that is more future proof.

So i think i go for the X11SSM-F with the G4600 and 2x16GB of RAM. Case maybe a Fractal R5 and some Gold+ PSU.
Or can someone recommend a similar case? I only need a silenced case. No fancy windows.

Evertb1

Guru

Evertb1

Guru
So i think i go for the X11SSM-F with the G4600 and 2x16GB of RAM. Case maybe a Fractal R5 and some Gold+ PSU.
Good choices I think. I am a big fan of the R5 cases. I own 2 of them. If you don't need fancy things like hot swap bays etc. you will love the case I am sure. Of course there is a lot of competition on the market but the R5 has a lot to offer for an reasonable price (in my part of the world anyway). And I like the simple, clean looks without unnecessary whistles and bells.

Easy4Breezy

Cadet
Maybe i go for the Lian Li PC-A75X. It's a bit expensive, but i need to spend 3k € about anyways, so it doesn't really matter..

Status
Not open for further replies.