BUILD My first FreeNas build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Patron
So, from what I can tell from the technical jibberjabber, I can use HDMI if I put a xeon with integrated graphics on the board..?

For the specific board you were looking at you need a processor with integrated graphics. Read the CPU section. If you are thinking Xeon you need to go with the series ending in "5".

And those SAS ports are for server drives which are smaller in storage and much more expensive, aren't they? Plus they spin at a lot higher RPM, so make make a lot more noise. remember, this thing has to be in my living room next to the tv :)

Thanks for the feedback.
The X10SL7 has a on board controller but you can connect 8 SATA drives to it. You might need to flush it and there is a separate thread how to do it.

Twanne

Cadet
For the specific board you were looking at you need a processor with integrated graphics. Read the CPU section. If you are thinking Xeon you need to go with the series ending in "5".

So if I go with the Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 (SR14U) Boxed, I could get HDMI to work (this proc is actually cheaper than the one I had before).

The X10SL7 has a on board controller but you can connect 8 SATA drives to it. You might need to flush it and there is a separate thread how to do it.

If I choose to go with this one, I'd just go with a 6 drive RAIDZ2 and a smaller case, so this is actually be a good option. By the time i get 16TB full of data I think it might be time for a new server anyway.
But the IPMI, from what I read, this allows full acces to the system simply by connecting a cable to the second Ethernet port? This is quite confusing.

JohnK

Patron
So if I go with the Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 (SR14U) Boxed, I could get HDMI to work (this proc is actually cheaper than the one I had before).
Yes
If I choose to go with this one, I'd just go with a 6 drive RAIDZ2 and a smaller case, so this is actually be a good option. By the time i get 16TB full of data I think it might be time for a new server anyway.
But the IPMI, from what I read, this allows full acces to the system simply by connecting a cable to the second Ethernet port? This is quite confusing.

IPMI is actually very simple. You do not need a second cable. You connect to your router/switch and use your internet browser from another computer to do all the configuration, that includes monitoring fans/temperatures, rebooting, configuring bios etc. In the end you only have to connect your NAS to your router/switch and your UPS/power. It never needs a screen/keyboard/mouse. All those things are done through your browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.