BUILD First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nifoc

Dabbler
Hello everyone. This is another one of those "verify my build" type of posts :)

I'm planning to purchase the following components, but was wondering if they will actually work well together.

Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-804
Motherboard: ASRock E3C224D4I-14S
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150*
RAM: 3x Kingston KVR16E11/8
HDD: 8x 3TB WD Green** ***
PSU: SeaSonic G-450

* I might have to update the BIOS, but that should hopefully not be an issue.
** I know about WDIDLE3.
*** Since I already have a bunch of 3TB Green drives and don't want to spend too much money on new HDDs, I might use 7x 3TB WD Green + 1x 2TB WD Green for some time.

I'm planning to use those 8 drives in a encrypted RAIDZ2. I will mostly be storing media files.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you really need encryption? It's designed to lock you out if something goes wrong. It's not encryption for the faint of heart.

nifoc

Dabbler
I don't really need encryption, no. I know about all the caveats, I just think that it's still nice to have.

I just threw the "encrypted" part in there so that people know what I'm planning on doing.
Even though it is very, very, very unlikely, but maybe the CPU I want to is not suited for encryption or something like that.

I appreciate your concern though :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It supports AES-NI, so that's not a problem.

marbus90

Guru
I'd rather go for the Lian-Li PC-Q26 which is rather well available in .de. Fits the board perfectly, all 10 bays are easily accessible, it's really small compared to the Node 804 battleship. For hotswap support you'd need another 4x BP2SATA, neccessary SATA breakout and straight cables for 10 HDDs are included as well.

Don't get Kingston but instead 1x CT2KIT102472BD160B 2x8GB Kit for a start.

As for HDDs, I'd really recommend WD Red HDDs. birds whispered that wdidle might not work on newer Greens anymore. the Reds are worth the price. Since the Q26 supports 10 HDDs, you could also start on 5x3TB raidz2 and add 5 more HDDs in another raidz2 later on. Total usable is 8TiB per 5x3TB z2 set then. You can also add 4, 5 or 6TB HDDs with the additional 5disk z2. (with 8x3TB in z2 it's also only ~14TiB, so 2x 5disk z2 would offer more usable space and upgrade flexibility)

nifoc

Dabbler
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm currently considering wether or not I want to go with the Lian-Li case or not.

As for the WD Reds: I think I have to just suck it up and spend some more money on the HDDs. I did not know about the reports of WDIDLE not working correctly with some newer WD Green drives. Plus, having two Z2s seems better anyway … :)

Don't get Kingston but instead 1x CT2KIT102472BD160B 2x8GB Kit for a start.

Why do you not recommend Kingston RAM? I never had issues with Kingston. Searching the forums I saw that many people have issues with Supermicro boards, but since I'm getting an ASRock …

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm currently considering wether or not I want to go with the Lian-Li case or not.

As for the WD Reds: I think I have to just suck it up and spend some more money on the HDDs. I did not know about the reports of WDIDLE not working correctly with some newer WD Green drives. Plus, having two Z2s seems better anyway … :)

Why do you not recommend Kingston RAM? I never had issues with Kingston. Searching the forums I saw that many people have issues with Supermicro boards, but since I'm getting an ASRock …
The story is summed up in the Supermicro X10 sticky.

marbus90

Guru
And even if it's only on Supermicros, I'd just avoid Kingston. They did bad things not only to RAM.

You can certainly start with Greens and swap them with Reds as bugdet frees up. They're just not feasible in the long run - after a year the LCC climbed to 80-100+k, that's when I'd pull drives from NAS duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.