advise on build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazen44

Cadet
So, after I have read the excellent hardware recommendation guide, i selected the following components for my freenas system.

I think i have everything correct, although advise is appreciated.

Currently i have the following setup in mind:

Intel Pentium G4400 Boxed
ASRock Rack E3C236D2I

3x WD Red WD20EFRX 2TB (RAIDZ1 Setup)

or

3x Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB (raid z1 setup)

Fractal Design Node 304 black

2 Kingston DataTraveler Micro USB 2.0 8GB

Samsung M391A2K43BB1 16GB DDR4 memory (ECC)

Seasonic G-series 450 watt PSU

any advise in terms of the disks in use? The toshiba ones have a higher RPM, while they are the same price as the 2TB WD reds.

I have also been looking at WD blue's but because of WD merged the blue and green line i wonder if they have the issue with the aggressive head parking? Is there any list of "safe" blue models?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
New WD Blues are exactly the same as WD Greens used to be.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If the Toshibas and the WDs are the same price, the Toshies are the obvious pick at 50% more capacity for the same price. RPM isn't really a factor--the 7200 RPM drives just burn more watts and are harder to cool, while not giving any speed advantage for a NAS. But RAIDZ1 isn't really recommended for > 1 TB drives around here--too much risk of data corruption on a rebuild if a drive fails.

Dice

Wizard

kazen44

Cadet
what about the other hardware? the g4400 seems like a great CPU because its relatively cheap and supports AES-NI.

Dice

Wizard
the g4400 seems like a great CPU because its relatively cheap and supports AES-NI.
what the fffff??!
....im pretty damn confused now. When I researched the g4400 vs i3-6100 there was no signs of AES-NI on the intel-ark. Now there is.

Is this another i3-ECC whoopsiie by intel?!

kazen44

Cadet
what the fffff??!
....im pretty damn confused now. When I researched the g4400 vs i3-6100 there was no signs of AES-NI on the intel-ark. Now there is.

Is this another i3-ECC whoopsiie by intel?!
Well, according to their link here it seems to support AES-NI?.

I definetly hope so, it seems to be an amazing CPU for freenas at that pricepoint, especially if your not looking into spending cash on a xeon.

Dice

Wizard
yeah, I double checked that before I posted.
I'm just utterly surprised. Since my <only> real argument for getting the i3-6100 at the time of purchase was its capacity for AES-NI.
Shortly after I found the recommendations on running encrypted pools, and discussions on whether encryption would remain an option in the FreeNAS 10 version provided clues there were no real benefit in getting the i3-6100 over the G4400 at ~half the price point. At least not in my use case.

Ie, my reaction was more one characterized by regret than by 'wtf is that user thinking?' :)

Cheers /

Last edited:

silverbull

Dabbler
why the ASRock mobo? it looks more expensive than the popular supermicro boards and with less DIMM slots

-edit: probably due to the size, it's getting late, i'm going to bed...........

Status
Not open for further replies.