mv errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Hey Guys,

I have a bunch of files (600gb worth) that need to be moved between shares and if I do it via windows it transfers the files across the network. I figured the way around this would be to move with the CLI.

So dialed down into my main Dev directory and entered this:
Code:
Primo@Nassy:/mnt/DirtyData % mv Shared/Wally/Desktop\ File\ Recovery/movies/*.* Movies/New\ -\ Unsorted/

The CLI then started pumping out error messages. The files are being copied from the source to the target but not moved and it's going rather slower than I expected.
Code:
mv: chmod: Movies/New - Unsorted/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]/2.guns.2013.720p.bluray.x264-sparks.nfo: Operation not permitted
mv: chmod: Movies/New - Unsorted/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]/Downloaded From PublicHD.SE.txt: Operation not permitted
mv: chmod: Movies/New - Unsorted/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]/2.guns.2013.720p.bluray.x264-sparks.mkv: Operation not permitted
mv: chmod: Movies/New - Unsorted/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]: Operation not permitted
mv: /bin/cp Shared/Wally/Desktop File Recovery/movies/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD] Movies/New - Unsorted/2.Guns.2013.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status

Should I be using the FULL path with the mv command?
Also, why is the /bincp Shared/ directory coming up? Is that just because that's where the mv binary is located?

The user I logged into the shell with has full read/write access to both shares so I'm not sure why I would be getting chmod errors..... does it have something to do with a UNIX/ACL permission clash?

Wallybanger

Contributor
Apparently I only need dir/* and not *.* to move files and directories although both kinda seemed to work.

I'm still gettin set mode (was: 0700): Operation not permitted & set owner/group (was: 1001/1005): Operation not permitted though.... I'm guessing these are old ACL permissions from the other computer these files were copied from.

Last edited:

Wallybanger

Contributor
RTFM

Wallybanger

Contributor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Apparently I only need dir/* and not *.* to move files and directories although both kinda seemed to work.

I'm still gettin set mode (was: 0700): Operation not permitted & set owner/group (was: 1001/1005): Operation not permitted though.... I'm guessing these are old ACL permissions from the other computer these files were copied from.
Good suggestion. I guess I'll do that. Thanks for the help.
I'm seriously confused. What happened here?

Wallybanger

Contributor
I'm just getting error that I don't understand.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is the dataset configured for Windows permissions? And are you moving the data across datasets?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wallybanger

Contributor
Is the dataset configured for Windows permissions? And are you moving the data across datasets?

Yes, that is correct.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When using the mv command across datasets it has to do a full court and delete so speeds will be based on pool speed.

When using Windows permissions you can't really use any Unix commands because they make some assumptions with permissions. I'm not sure if there is a work around but I wonder if you change the acl setting to not be restrictive if that could help? It might change the permissions on the copied files in strange ways.

Stux

MVP
When using the mv command across datasets it has to do a full court and delete so speeds will be based on pool speed.

When using Windows permissions you can't really use any Unix commands because they make some assumptions with permissions. I'm not sure if there is a work around but I wonder if you change the acl setting to not be restrictive if that could help? It might change the permissions on the copied files in strange ways.

Think you can use rsync and tell it to preserve acls/attrs.

I tired to find the invocation for you, but couldn't.

Wallybanger

Contributor
ok, well it's kind of comforting to know there isn't an easy solution. So just copying/moving through windows is still the best option then?

Wallybanger

Contributor
@Wallybanger did you find an answer to this? I am having the same issue.
No. FreeBSD is irritating so I just try to use Windows. I don't have the time to become a FreeNAS wizard. The biggest issue is that I don't do enough stuff from the CLI for anything to really sink in.

PhilipS

Contributor
@Wallybanger did you find an answer to this? I am having the same issue.

mv tries to preserve permissions when used across datasets/file systems. It uses chmod to set the permissions after the file is copied and chmod is specifically blocked in FreeNAS for windows shares. I would try using rsync as Stux recommended and see how that goes or use an smb client to perform the move.

Varun Chugh

Dabbler
mv tries to preserve permissions when used across datasets/file systems. It uses chmod to set the permissions after the file is copied and chmod is specifically blocked in FreeNAS for windows shares. I would try using rsync as Stux recommended and see how that goes or use an smb client to perform the move.
Sure, will try that. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.