After upgrade to 11.3 - mv on a NFS share wont work any more - cp works.. wtf?

memyselfundnas

Dabbler
Hi!

My freenas has been working flawlessly for a year now, yesterday I updated to the latest release - and I noticed that mv jobs stopped working. cp still works. Im really stumped what went wrong. I double checked all the puid and guids between the server and the client system, all are still the same. Even if I try it as root user, directory changed to 777 permissions.. it still wont work with mv. What in Freenas´s name changed from 11.2 to 11.3, that I missed?

my fstab is the most basic setup:
192.168.0.2:/mnt/DATA-1/movies /mnt/movies nfs defaults 0 0
192.168.0.2:/mnt/DATA-1/series /mnt/series nfs defaults 0 0

I get this error if I mv a file -

root mv test.mkv /mnt/series/test-series/"test - file.mkv"

mv: cannot create regular file '/mnt/series/test-series/"test - file.mkv"': Operation not permitted

copy works fine:

root ~] $ cp test.mkv /mnt/series/test-series/"test - file.mkv"

root ~] $

I got 777 on that test folder, and it still wont mv as any user.

Another thing I noticed, is that if I touch a file, and vi it, I gets lots and lots of .swp files that wont get cleaned up..

Client hasn´t changed, its a debian10 - I just updated the freenas yesterday night.

Thanks ALOT for your help!

KrisBee

Wizard
If the mv actually copies the file, it's the following delete action that fails with "Operation not permitted" which suggest a permission glitch somewhere. There are circumstances were even root on you client cannot perform a delete ( eg. root squash on a nfs share?). Vi creating lots of tmp .swp files speaks of the same problem - an inability to delete.

Assuming the upgrade 11.2 to 11.3 didn't change your NFS service config or NFS share definitions ( cat /etc/exports ) in anyway, I suppose it could be down to a change in perms/ACL along the path /mnt/DATA-1/....

Last edited: