SOLVED mv command broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashpoint

Dabbler
Hey guys,

I am trying to fix a mistake that I've made (Putting all media content in the Plex jail). So what I am trying to do now is to move all of my 3tb of content to a share specifically made for media.

So this is what I am doing at the moment:

Code:
root@PE:/mnt/vol1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media # mv Movies /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/

the problem is the command seems to be COPYING files instead of MOVING them, does FreeBSD use a different command or something? I've tried to Google this but I can't seem to find any results.

Thank you for your time, and help! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So let it finish and then delete them from the original location.

danb35

Hall of Famer
the problem is the command seems to be COPYING files instead of MOVING them
That's exactly what it does when the source and destination are different filesystems--and datasets are independent filesystems.

Edit: To be clear--when the source and destination are on different destinations, mv copies the data, sets the appropriate attributes on the destination data, and then removes the originals. So the end result is the same as if the source and destination were on the same filesystem, but the process to get there is different.

Last edited:

flashpoint

Dabbler
That's exactly what it does when the source and destination are different filesystems--and datasets are independent filesystems.

Oh, I see is there anything that I can do to move the content? Or will I have to manually remove the content that has already been copied from dataset A to Dataset B?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Oh, I see is there anything that I can do to move the content?
The mv command works just fine, but if you don't have enough space (even temporarily) for two copies of the data, you'll have to move portions at a time. You could use mc for a more interactive interface (which would also move one item at a time) if you like.

flashpoint

Dabbler
The mv command works just fine, but if you don't have enough space (even temporarily) for two copies of the data, you'll have to move portions at a time. You could use mc for a more interactive interface (which would also move one item at a time) if you like.
Thank you very much!

flashpoint

Dabbler
Seemed to find something else for some reason when I did mv -v * /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/Movies/ (in the /Movies/ directory) it started actually moving the files 1 by 1. I don't know why since all -v does is show you your current progress but it worked 0_o.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The star is the difference. It's the same as if you typed mv Movies/file1 /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/Movies/ ; mv Movies/file2 /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/Movies/ ; ... ; mv Movies/fileN /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/Movies/ instead of mv Movies /mnt/vol1/AllMedia/.

Status
Not open for further replies.