SOLVED Multiple NICs, 2 WAN, Separate Networks?

Hey everyone,
Not to sure if this is even possible, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has ever done anything like this and may be able to give me to pointers.

(Ultimate setup eventually)
I have 2 connections, 2 modems, and 2 different dynamic IPs from my ISP (Spectrum). I have 1 of the connections to my Asus Router, which feeds the house, and IOTs with 10.0.0.0/16 network. The second is into a TP-Link Router which feeds my TP-Link T2600G-52TS which then I have a TrueNAS cluster (TNA TNB, TNC). Eventually I will setup vLans with my managed switch, but for now, I just have the router. Each one of my TN systems have a NIC on the motherboard, and a 4 port 2.5GB NIC PCI. So each has 5 NICs. I have all 25 ports plugged into the switch. The switch: I have a trunk link vlan going to my Asus router called UPLINK, and I have. (This is the end setup once I get it all figured out).

(After failures, current setup)
Ok after a full weekend of failures trying to set that up. I decided to simplify, take it down to 1 TrueNAS, 5 NICs, 2 modems, 2 routers... 4 of my ports on the TrueNAS is plugged into the TP-Link Router, the 5th port is plugged into my Asus Router. (As I am explaining all of this, I am starting to think of things... Wheels spinning here... maybe I should only use 3 ports on the TN, and plug one from the TP-Link to the Asus, then port forward)... Anyways, what I am thinking is one NIC would be a connection to my Asus, and the other to my TP-Link... I don't know at this point, I am trying to be able to access TrueNAS, from my house network... Maybe I am doing this all wrong. Any thoughts?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Your explanation is a bit difficult to follow. Perhaps a diagram would help.

First and possibly most important to read is this:

If that's clear (looks like maybe it is from what you said so far, but wanted to be sure), then it would be helpful to understand if the dual internet connection actually has any relationship with the TrueNAS systems in terms of what you want...

Do you want TrueNAS to run apps that serve either IoT or "home" apps, but are somehow separated from each other and use the two internet connections separately?

How prepared are you to work with kubernetes networking (and the extreme complications that come with that)?

How do you see the load balancing/failover scenarios between your internet connections? (if port forwarding will be done from both to one or other or both TrueNAS systems)

I have drew up a diagram to help explain, I may have this not setup correctly, or maybe it is all in my configurations, I am not sure...

1689604277288.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, that diagram is an excellent start.

Now just to clarify what it is you want to happen and what's not working. See the questions in my last post (only a couple are answered by the diagram.

Yeah, sorry about that, I was in the middle of answering that and this place that pays me to do THEIR work... (Pffft...), messaged me and I guess I had to join a stupid meeting... With 5 minutes notice, might I clearly add (HAHA)...

Anyways, I did figure out some of my issue (You are allowed to laugh at me, but I deserve it)... When I was drawing up that diagram I was grabbing IP addresses, and switching between my networks to get them. Anyways, like a 6 month old rookie playing 1st base in 4th grade, I had my ER7206 set with a /16 mask. My VLan 2 & 3, has 10.2.x.x and 10.150.x.x. (Once I get this completely setup I will have 2 Cybertronic 200TB SAN Systems that will also be included with VLAN 2, and clustered (maybe))

Back to your questions:
1. TrueNAS (As shown in the diagram) will run home apps

1.5. TrueNAS will use WAN 2 (74.x.x.x) as it's primary IO External Network connection segregated from VLan 1 and 3

2. Believe it or not I have never used Kubernetes, I am willing to learn, and if that is something that would benefit me I will take any courses I can find or are recommended.

3. Since TrueNAS will only use WAN 2, I only have port 80 forwarding from the ER7206 and forwarding to 10.0.2.x (which is my Portainer nGinX-Proxy-Manager). -- Should I have another Port forward for devices on VLan 1 to connect to VLan 2, or should I use VLan management to handle (Although I am worried about access from VLan 2 to VLan 1 by bad actors)

Hey... Also I really appreciate your insight and taking the time to answer these questions.

The 2 main issues are:

1. Connecting to TrueNAS Web GUI while on VLAN 1
2. Having the Asus Router use the PiHole DNS to manage the kiddos and their ability to click on ANYTHING... (Yes I did scream that so they can hear my typing)

The 2 main issues are:

1. Connecting to TrueNAS Web GUI while on VLAN 1
2. Having the Asus Router use the PiHole DNS to manage the kiddos and their ability to click on ANYTHING... (Yes I did scream that so they can hear my typing)

2 Words...
"VLAN Tagging"

mic drops (very dramatically I might add)

sretalla