SOLVED Multiple issues after Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_pcox

Cadet
Hi guys,

I have been running a Freenas 9.2.1 box for just personal files and kids media. I am running 9.2.1 because, at the time, I only had 4GB of non-ECC ram, and figure I'd stick with UFS. Been rock solid for awhile, but we had an extended power outage last week, and with my limited knowledge, all I can say is that it is "messed-up". Hope you guys can offer some help and advice.

The machine boots up, but on the console, all it says is "freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs". Only keyboard command it seems to respond to is "Ctrl-Alt-Del". Then of course, it will reboot.

When the machine is running...
- I can ping its IP
- I can SSH into the box
- but SMB/CIFS not available
- my Plugins/Jails seem to be working (I only have Transmission and Plex)
- Webgui shows the following:
Code:
An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

I spent some time searching the forums, but don't even know where to start. Help?

Thanks in advance!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you have a backup of your configuration file? The easy solution is to restore FreeNAS and then restore the configuration file. Also, I'm assuming that you are running the system from a USB Flash drive so replace it. Remove it and insert another one. Reinstall FreeNAS to the new USB Flash drive and then restore your configuration file. If you don't have a configuration file, you may need to manually configure your system which shouldn't be too big of a deal.

The good thing is your data should be safe.

You may be able to recover your configuration data if you don't have a backup (one of the reasons you removed the old USB Flash Drive) but you will need to do that later, first you should ensure your system will work again. There are several threads on how to recover the configuration file if you need to, just do a good Google search and you should find one of them.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
As @joeschmuck says, the most likely culprit is the boot device. Replace it with a fresh one, and reinstall a fresh FreeNAS. Your data should still be there unharmed.

dr_pcox

Cadet
Thanks guys. I did as suggested... fresh install on new media, and recovered the config DB file. Everything is running as it was. I hope this new USB key will last a tad longer than the faulty SD Card.

Cheers!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hopefully you have a USB 2.0 flash drive. The USB 3.0 drives can tend to run hot and die prematurely, depending on the model of course.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hopefully you have a USB 2.0 flash drive. The USB 3.0 drives can tend to run hot and die prematurely, depending on the model of course.
Is that right? Interesting. I hadn't heard of that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Status
Not open for further replies.