Multiple concurrent reads of same file(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm totally new to FreeNAS but am considering building a NAS box using it. I run a small 3D visualisation company and currently have a Qnap NAS which is a few years old. I'm wondering if building my own box will solve a limitation I think the Qnap one has:

When rendering 3D scenes with 3ds Max, and also when rendering multiple variations of the same video in After Effects, I often have a number of PCs all accessing the same reference files at exactly the same time. At times I find rendering slow to start and I wonder if the Qnap NAS has a limit to how many devices can read any one file simultaneously (I understand that NASs allow fewer devices to read a given file simultaneously than a Windows Server for example).

Can anyone tell me if there's a limit within FreeNAS? Or would it be more likely to be a hardware limit? If so, how should I spec a DIY FreeNAS box to try and avoid this issue?

kdragon75

Wizard
I understand that NASs allow fewer devices to read a given file simultaneously than a Windows Server for example
Not sure where you got this from. At work we use NetApp for most of our storage and that supports 40,000+ users and for some applications im sure the same file is read by many clients at the same time. I would love to see a windows server do that from an NTFS volume.

You don't mention HOW the files are accessed. Are you using CIFS, AFP, SFTP, or something else? I'm guessing CIFS (SAMBA). Perhap the Qnap is just undersized. Are you about to log any storage or network performance metrics while your render is starting? Maybe you should be using 10gb ethernet. Ho big are the files being accessed?

All of this aside, on almost all NAS appliances, once the file is read, it stays in RAM until the caching mechanism expires the blocks due to time or just needing the space for new cache blocks. ZFS is a bit more intelligent with the use of ARC as a caching mechanism. Once a file is in cache the speed limit is usually the network.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The benefit FreeNAS may offer would be ARC... the file can be served directly from memory if read multiple times (most server OS platforms do this, but FreeNAS is optimized for it... your QNAP may not have enough memory to keep all the files needed in RAM... make sure you consider this in designing a FreeNAS system... 8GB is the entry ticket anyway, but more is always better/recommended).

What you won't see is anything that will get around file locks... if your application locks the file for exclusive access, no server will help to eliminate that (perhaps the slowness you see is each client waiting for the next file it needs to become free/unlocked by the last client).

kdragon75

Wizard
but FreeNAS is optimized for it
You mean ZFS.
perhaps the slowness you see is each client waiting for the next file it needs to become free/unlocked by the last client
Could be. I would think for render functions this softwares listed would be smart enough to not lock the file but he is using Adobe...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
krdragon75 said:
You mean ZFS.

Well, since FreeNAS exclusively uses ZFS... FreeNAS is optimized for all the things that ZFS is...

Thank you both for your replies; you've taught me some stuff already!

Not sure where you got this from.
An IT manager in a previous job used it as an explanation when I was accessing files from 20-30 PCs at once. There was a huge hang when accessing the files from a NAS but when we moved the files to their Windows server it was fine.

You don't mention HOW the files are accessed. Are you using CIFS, AFP, SFTP, or something else?
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't know if it's any of those! I'm using Windows PCs to access the files via a wired LAN. Everything is wired through Gigabit switches.

Perhaps the Qnap is just undersized.
Almost certainly. It's the Qnap TS-419P II which has served me well for 6 years or so but I think it's time it was relegated to perhaps an off-site back-up drive. I'd just like to ensure I replace it with something fit for purpose, albeit with a limited budget.

Are you about to log any storage or network performance metrics while your render is starting? Maybe you should be using 10gb ethernet. Ho big are the files being accessed?
The files aren't often very big, generally no more than a few MB each. Just often quite a few at a time.

your QNAP may not have enough memory to keep all the files needed in RAM
That might well be the problem, I don't even know if it's got a GB!

perhaps the slowness you see is each client waiting for the next file it needs to become free/unlocked by the last client
I'd hope that the software would be intelligent enough for this not to be an issue, but yes, we're dealing with Adobe and Autodesk here - neither known for thinking things through properly when designing their software.

Stux

MVP
An IT manager in a previous job used it as an explanation when I was accessing files from 20-30 PCs at once. There was a huge hang when accessing the files from a NAS but when we moved the files to their Windows server it was fine.

There is a large range of devices in the NAS category, ranging from cheap and barely capable to heavy iron will run a Fortune 500 company

Stux

MVP
FWIW, depending on the size of your simultaneous active set, ZFS ARC and L2ARC could be a big win

ZFS, from what I'm reading, does sound like it could be a good solution. So, let me be a little more specific, in the hope that I might draw from the wealth of experience on here.

What the NAS would need to be / do:
Purely a file server (no requirement for VMs or anything else as far as I'm aware).
Primarily storing project files and reference files for my business - this would need to have redundancy and decent speed
Secondarily storing family photos / videos / etc
Thirdly, as my office is at home, storing DVD and BluRay rips from which my media PC will read

The last point is one that's causing me some confusion. This is far from the main purpose of the NAS, but it's a very useful bonus since it's in the same building as my living room! We currently use Kodi (formerly XBMC) on a media PC as the front end, and it reads files from my Qnap NAS as well as its local HDD. Many people talk about running Plex on their NAS - would this be a benefit or could I just carry on the way I'm familiar with? If I understand it correctly, unless I'm running Plex or something on the NAS, the FreeNAS box would just be a file server, and therefore possibly an easier build?

What Raid configuration would be recommended for my use? My Qnap is currently using Raid5, which I felt at the time was the best balance between available space and redundancy against drive failure.

bollar

Patron
If I were in your situation, I'd want to confirm that your clients aren't outstripping your Qnap's ethernet bandwidth. Gigabit ethernet "feels" inadequate for numerous clients accessing many files at the same time. Perhaps there's an admin console on the Qnap that shows performance?

There are people here who can suggest specific hardware for every aspect of your build, but if it were me, I would look at a 5-6 drive system configured as RAIDZ2 (two drive redundancy). I'd also consider 10gigabit ethernet (which will also require upgrading your switch) and SSDs to ensure the system is as fast as possible when under load.

sretalla