Multichannel samba share?

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Hi
I am looking to setup samba multichannel from the freeNAS machine to a linux machine.

Both have an intel quad nic installed.

I found this guide:

So for context:
Whit the the health thing happening in the world it is impractica & prohibitably expensive to get 10 gigbit switches & nics.
Also obtaining getting a 16 port gigabit switch is very problematic.

My present switch has 8 port with 1 port free.

It seems the guide assumes all connections will go through a switch.

I want to have both the machines to connect to the switch as they are now.

The 3 spare on each machine i wish to connect directly to each other on the opposite machine.

Is this practical?

In the guide there is the standard network and another subnet so save addresses.

My guess is I will need 4 different subnets with static IPs setup on 3 nics on each adapter.

Is this practical?

Thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Most recent NICs will crossover automatically, so you can just connect them as you suggest and it should work the same as if the 2 machines were connected via a dedicated switch.

I haven't personally tried this, but from the guide, I would expect it to work.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Multichannel SMB is not currently a supported feature. There are edge cases that can result in data corruption. From the samba manpage:
Warning: Note that this feature is still considered experimental. Use it at your own risk: Even though it may seem to work well in testing, it may result in data corruption under some race conditions. Future releases may improve this situation.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I just set server multi channel support = yes in the conf file and call it good. Takes about 10sec to setup. I never bother with that subnets stuff.

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
So now I am even more confused before my post.
Does SMB multichannel work or not?

thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So now I am even more confused before my post.
Does SMB multichannel work or not?

thanks
Yes it does work, I use it every day. It's just an experimental feature like anodos mentioned.

mstang1988

Contributor
I just set server multi channel support = yes in the conf file and call it good. Takes about 10sec to setup. I never bother with that subnets stuff.
I have tried to add it to my server but an error is always thrown. How are you adding it to your conf? I put in the Aux parameters:
server multi channel support = yes

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have tried to add it to my server but an error is always thrown. How are you adding it to your conf? I put in the Aux parameters:
To re-iterate my previous comment on this thread:

Multichannel SMB is not currently a supported feature. There are edge cases that can result in data corruption. From the samba manpage:
Warning: Note that this feature is still considered experimental. Use it at your own risk: Even though it may seem to work well in testing, it may result in data corruption under some race conditions. Future releases may improve this situation.

mstang1988

Contributor
To re-iterate my previous comment on this thread:

Yes, makes sense. I don't plan to use it in production but want some insight in the ROI I'll get once the corner cases are addressed.