mrsas driver instead of mfi driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i have this problem with a freenas 9.3 stable machine.
There is a PERC H330 controller (LSI 3008 chipset) that Freenas use with msi driver instead of mrsas.
I've tried all tests with the tunables to force load mrsas driver at load, but without success.
On boot messages i see "USING MSI" when initialize the controller.
Do you help me?

Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You want neither of those. You want mpr.

Crossflash your card to IT firmware.

Thx Ericloewe for the reply.
Can you explain what do you means with "Crossflash your card to IT firmware"?
What are the steps?

Thank you for your patient

zambanini

Patron
alessio, plese use the forum search. you got a good hint from ericlöwe.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thx Ericloewe for the reply.
Can you explain what do you means with "Crossflash your card to IT firmware"?
What are the steps?

Thank you for your patient
You'll have to do your research, since I haven't seen anyone do it on an SAS3 controller. The procedure is very well-tested and documented on SAS2 controllers.

The easy solution is to get a different controller - preferably SAS2, since the mpr driver is still rather unstable.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, eric is in error. 3008 drivers are listed as "pre-alpha". The driver will attach to the hardware based on what the hardware is telling the system it is. So there is no changing the driver that loads without recoding the driver to attach to other hardware.

But the 3008 shouldn't be used with FreeNAS because the drivers are basically very experimental. We've had lots of user that use the 3008 and have had to go back to an older 2008 controllers.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The 3008 doesn't need P16. The mpt hardware has a different monicker with regards to driver/firmware.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, eric is in error. 3008 drivers are listed as "pre-alpha". The driver will attach to the hardware based on what the hardware is telling the system it is. So there is no changing the driver that loads without recoding the driver to attach to other hardware.

But the 3008 shouldn't be used with FreeNAS because the drivers are basically very experimental. We've had lots of user that use the 3008 and have had to go back to an older 2008 controllers.
What did I get wrong? I said that the driver for SAS3 IT mode is mpr - anything other than mpr being loaded means the card needs to be replaced/crossflashed.

The 3008 doesn't need P16. The mpt hardware has a different monicker with regards to driver/firmware.
You're right, but nobody mentioned P16 or mpt. mpt is Fiber Channel, mps is LSI SAS2 IT and mpr is LSI SAS3 IT/IR.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That will come as quite the shock to all the LSI SAS 3Gbps HBA owners who didn't know that they actually owned stealth fiber channel gear.
That's what I get for quoting ancient manpages.

Fiber Channel and SAS1.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, mine still says

Code:
NAME
     mpt -- LSI Fusion-MPT SCSI/Fibre Channel driver
Notice it says " SCSI", as in the parallel kind. Only later revisions of the man page start to mention SAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Notice it says " SCSI", as in the parallel kind. Only later revisions of the man page start to mention SAS.

So, you're still in error, because you said, I quote,

mpt is Fiber Channel

and then you went on to say

Fiber Channel and SAS1.

and THEN you said that was from

FreeBSD 6.0, 2004-08-15.

but it turns out you're wrong even there, since that was SCSI and not SAS.

Not like you to make mistakes. You need coffee or something?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, you're still in error, because you said, I quote,

and then you went on to say

and THEN you said that was from

but it turns out you're wrong even there, since that was SCSI and not SAS.

Not like you to make mistakes. You need coffee or something?
I didn't say 6.0 said SAS, only that the driver is for SAS1, besides fiber channel (and SCSI, but parallel SCSI drives are relics).

But yeah, research made at night gets neither caffeine nor sleep. Silliest part is that I knew SAS1 used mpt (mpt, mps, mpr, five bucks says SAS4 will use mpq), but trusted the ancient man page.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Ancient? Geez. Way to make me feel old. For me, I consider that to be relatively recent history, and I have a lot of parallel SCSI stuff in inventory. If you want relics, I have some SMD and ESDI stuff.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ancient? Geez. Way to make me feel old. For me, I consider that to be relatively recent history, and I have a lot of parallel SCSI stuff in inventory. If you want relics, I have some SMD and ESDI stuff.
No feelings of age intended. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.