Moving my existing pool to a new machine

cgcmgr

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked a lot and I have seen many posts regarding it in this forum. However, I see a lot of different answers and older posts with users using FreeNAS. I'm not sure if things have changed since moving to TrueNAS. Here's my situation.

I currently have TrueNAS 12 Core on a machine with four 4TB drives. The processor is an i7 870. There are 16GB of memory and the board is an ASRock P55M Pro. The board only has four SATA connectors so I cannot add any more drives. I understand I can swap out the drives with larger capacity ones, but I would like to utilize these drives. I have just one Pool that contains my Emby server and the drives contain all of my media. I boot into TrueNAS 12 Core using mirrored USB drives.

I have a an ASUS Sabertooth x79 board with an i7 4930K processor and 64GB of ram lying around that I want to utilize. The board has 8 SATA connectors. This will allow me to change my boot device to SSD drives rather than USB drives. It will also allow me to add more drives down the line. I also want a fresh install of TrueNAS 13 Core on this machine.

I would like to take the four 4TB drives from the existing machine and put them into the new machine and import the Pool. The new machine will have a clean install of TrueNAS 13 Core on it and I will be using SSD drives mirrored as boot devices. Do I actually need two? I know when using USB drives it was suggested to use two mirrored. Do I need to use two SSD drives to be on the safe side in case one fails or should one drive suffice? I have seen posts say to do different things to achieve my goals such as:

1. On the existing machine, Save the Config file, Export/Disconnect the pool, turn off the machine and remove the drives. Install TrueNAS 13 on the new machine, add the drives from the old machine to the new machine. Import the Pool, import the config file.

2. Other posts do not mention Exporting/Disconnecting the pool from the old machine and they do not mention importing the Config file.

So a few questions:
1. Do I need to Export/Disconnect the Pool on the old machine? Does this just disassociate the Pool with the config? Is this done in case I use the old machine without this Pool and since it is no longer in the machine, I would get errors if not disassociated?
2. Is two SSD boot drives overkill?
3. After importing the Pool into the new TrueNAS 13 core machine, do I need to import the TrueNAS 12 Core Config file or is that a moot point since this is a fresh install of TrueNAS 13 Core?
4. This may be a question for a later time. I would like to eventually create another Pool that will host all of my Apps as I install them. Is it possible to move the Emby Jail from one Pool to another? As I said, that may be a question for a later date as it really doesn't pertain to my original question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris