Mounting Datasets for NextCloud (TrueNas Scale)

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello all,

So I am looking to setup NextCloud so I can access my TrueNas Datasets from anywhere. I have installed NextCloud and have done reading on how to add external storage to NextCloud, but to do so I would need to install SMBCLIENT to TrueNas. However I have also seen people state adding a mountpoint to Datasets on TrueNas so they are accessible from within the NextCloud UI is better.

I have two questions .

1. If SMBCLIENT is the best way forward for adding my SMB shares into NextCloud, what is the best way to do that for TrueNas Scale ?
2. If using a mountpoint is the best way, could someone kindly provide some screenshot style instructions/reference ? I have spent some time googling for the answers and searching here but I could not find a clear or concise answer on how to get my Datasets mounted properly.

Many thanks in advance.
P

ic3man5

Cadet
Did you ever resolve this? I'm running into the same issue and am not knowledgeable enough to resolve this on my own. Kubernetes is a completely new ballpark for me.

It seems like doing everything from the kubernetes side is the way to go but I don't know how to modify them and also make it work with TrueNAS Scale so it doesn't get overwritten or conflict with updates.

If anyone that maintains this pod/app is looking at this. smbclient, sudo, and nano would be amazing additions for managing nextcloud.

ic3man5

Cadet
So after spending 16+ hours trying to work with Kubernetes and failing to get even a simple thing like smbclient installed, I gave up. I've officially sworn off TrueNAS scale apps. The intended audience for Kubernetes nodes and pods I feel is way overkill for TrueNAS and is not user friendly at all.

Since I have TrueNAS running on Proxmox, I just made a Debian LXC container and shared SMB directories for the nextcloud storage. Performance is 100x faster than the TrueNAS app in both core and scale. If I had to do it again I would use a container image that came with php8 out of the box.

Volkodav

Dabbler
I can't get it work in Scale either however I managed it in Core. I think it is dataset and/or permissions issue. I will keep digging though

PackElend

Explorer
are you talking about using additional app storage?
1668546263639.png

otherwise can you use https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/l...iles/external_storage_configuration_gui.html?