Nextcloud 14 SMB share not working in 11.2

Ligure

Cadet
I took the plunge and upgraded from FN 11.1-U6 to 11.2 release. I have not sealed the deal by upgrading the ZFS pool (don't know if it is needed for my issue).
Since then my preexisting Nextcloud warden jail (via plugin) stopped having access to the SMB shares that I previously set up (working prior to upgrade). I noticed this after I tried the following in sequence which all failed to provide results:
  1. Adding a Nextcloud 14 plugin in 11.2 (iocage flavor). No smbclient installed. I have no idea how to install it either. Web and form search turned up conflicting suggestions which were dated or not fully applicable.
  2. Creating a Nextcloud 14 iocage jail via danb35's cool script. At the end of install I cannot get the web interface to work.
I have been researching this for days now and am about ready to revert FN back to 11.1-U6. I am left asking myself questions like:
Why doesn't the plugin install smbclient?
Did FN 11.2 disable the smbclient? If so, why?
Or did Nextcloud 14 disable it? If so, why?

My preferred solution is to get #1 (Nextcloud 14 plugin) to work but I have no idea how to get the appropriate smbclient along with the matching php-smbclient via the appropriate installer to work. I tried one installer, but it did not work.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

D

dlavigne

You could put in a feature request at bugs.freenas.org to have it added to the plugin (plugins were rewritten for 11.2 due to the new framework and this may have been missed).

Alternately, you could install a jail and install whatever pkgs you want to use there. Not sure in @danb35 has updated his script for 11.2.

danb35

Hall of Famer

dnilgreb

Contributor
I also upgraded to 11.2 recently. On one box from 9.10.2-U6, and on one from 11.1(-U2 I think).
Now my SMB shares in Nextcloud don´t work. Same on both servers.
Both are now FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE-U1 and Nextcloud 14.0.4.
SMB worked fine on both servers before 11.2.
Does anybody know how to fix this?

Apollo

Wizard
Not sure. But you can share it as local, if local is part of a dataset within your Freenas pool. For that, you will need to mount it within the jail system, then point to the location where it reside as a mount point in the jail.
You will then need to run occ command to scan the relevant share for NC to be able to list it's content.
You also need to set the mount point permission for NC to get access.

dnilgreb

Contributor
OK, but what about permissions? My NC user doesn´t exist in /etc/passwd on the server, and I want to give user specific permissions. Do you have a way of doing that? In my head, if I mount it as jail storage, I will have to have the same users and permissions in the jail system as in the FreeNAS system. Correct?

Apollo

Wizard
I am not sure. Normally with SMB share, each share is designed to give access to a specific set of users. That is true.
For NC to gain access through the share would be to mount it as SMB and provide NC with account access (share user name and password), but in the event this is no longer available, the only work around is to provide access via Local acccess. Local access, means NC need to be able to snoop around a specific folder with NC privilege.
In this scenario user may loose access due to the change of privilege.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Yes, and also then NC would hav access to all users private shares. And for a user to access their private share, they would have to be in an allowed group (along with NC), right? So then all users have access to each others shares.

I´d really like to continue using ths SMB support that Nexcloud (still??) has. Does anyone know how to do it in 11.2?

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
Yes, and also then NC would hav access to all users private shares. And for a user to access their private share, they would have to be in an allowed group (along with NC), right? So then all users have access to each others shares.

I´d really like to continue using ths SMB support that Nexcloud (still??) has. Does anyone know how to do it in 11.2?

I am stuck on this as well, installed the latest v15 plugin and would like to add my folders with Windows permissions to the Nextcloud plug in via SMB.

However when you enable the external storage app it says there is no smbclient so SMB shares are not an option.

I tried to fix this with the V14 plugin but all the guides I could find failed due to a missing PHP SMB plugin (seemed to have disappeared).

D

dlavigne

Please report the missing PHP plugin at bugs.freenas.org so it can be added (and post the issue number here).

dnilgreb

Contributor
I actually found this out th other day. FreeNAS 11.2 does not allow older version som Samba, and Nextcloud is using an old one. (I think Samba 1). So, you have to add a tunable to FreeNAS.

Code:
Variable = freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol

Value = NT1

Type = sysctl

Then it worked as before the11.2 upgrade.