Mount points and storage for Plex media server

Status
Not open for further replies.

david kennedy

Explorer
I had the same issue as you.

My mistake was in thinking that if you shared an ZFS dataset with the jail the "child" datasets would also be avaialble.

I like to create zfs datasets like you have:
/mnt/Data/Media
/mnt/Data/Media/Movies
/mnt/Data/Media/Pictures
etc

It makes it easy for me to just zfs list and see where my space is allocated.

To get this to work with plex correctly you need to mount each dataset in the jail

/mnt/Data/Media/Movies mounted in the jail under /data/movies
/mnt/Data/Media/Pictures mounted in the jail under /data/Pictures

etc

It takes a bit longer to setup but it is a one-time thing.

Under Plex just add the appropriate folders.

Hope this helps anyone to avoid the same problem i had....

FlyingPersian

Patron
If you go inside the jail, you can run the command ee /etc/group
Then you can see the group that owns your media and simply add plex to the list of users after it (make sure there is a comma between users).
That way you don't have to let everyone be able to read and execute your media.

Hi
My setup looks like this:

/mnt/Data/MyName/Movies
/mnt/Data/MyName/Shows

I've multiple users using my NAS and everybody has his own dataset (=MyName) with only the user himself being able to access his dataset except me, the admin. I can access all of them.
So I changed the permission of my dataset to "read,write execute for the group and user A (which is me)" and left "others" unchecked.
I then added storage to plex; Source /mnt/Data/A/Movies and /mnt/Data/A/Shows to the destination /media/Movies and /media/Shows within the plex jail.
I then changed the permissions on /A/Movies and /A/Shows to read/write/execute for everybody including "others".
When I only check "read" for others or nothing plex can't find the movies. I have to check all of them for plex to be able to find the movies. How can I change that so that I don't have to make my folders accessable for everybody? I tried ee /etc/group, but I don't know what to do there.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Create a group and add yourself and the plex user to it. Then make it the owner group for the folder/files. And grant group read/write.

I'm new to non-windows permissions so this may not be the best solution but it is how I handled transmission permissions on my box.

Status
Not open for further replies.