Mount error when trying to update

Rana

Cadet
I am unable to update from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4 to Bluefin. Independently on whether I let the GUI download the update or whether I provide it manually, I get the following Error:

[EFAULT] Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: mount: /tmp/tmp72zlj55e: mount failed: Operation not permitted.​

The file is certainly OK, it seems to be a permission issue.

I have root access to a CLI.

Can someone please tell me how to handle this?

Rana

Cadet
I found a stackstrace of the error:
Fehler: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 18, in mount_update
subprocess.run(["mount", "-t", "squashfs", "-o", "loop", path, mounted], **run_kw)
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 528, in run
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['mount', '-t', 'squashfs', '-o', 'loop', '/var/tmp/firmware/manualupdate.tar', '/tmp/tmplaesqzt4']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 411, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 446, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1272, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 412, in file
await self.middleware.call('update.install_manual_impl', job, destfile, dest_extracted)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1345, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1206, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 23, in install_manual_impl
self._install(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/install_linux.py", line 34, in _install
with mount_update(path) as mounted:
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 117, in __enter__
return next(self.gen)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/update_/utils_linux.py", line 20, in mount_update
raise CallError(f"Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: {e.stdout}")
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Invalid update image file. Please, re-download update. Error: mount: /tmp/tmplaesqzt4: mount failed: Operation not permitted.
The issue seems to be Command '['mount', '-t', 'squashfs', '-o', 'loop', '/var/tmp/firmware/manualupdate.tar', '/tmp/tmplaesqzt4']' returned non-zero exit status 1. The update file (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1.update) is not a tar archive. I would like to know: which of the files listed in https://download.truenas.com/TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin/22.12.3.1/ are supposed to be supplemented manually for the update? Is it save to submit an iso file?

Rana

Cadet
So my TrueNAS Scale Anglefish is expecting a TAR update file. I have obtained an old TAR update of the expected format and found it to contain three TGZ files (1 base OS archive and 2 FreeBSD PKG archives) plus some auxiliary files. (This is just for inspection, I will certainly not try to up/downgrade a Debian based OS with FreeBSD)

The current Bluefin iso file seems to contain a complete live system. So I can certainly not simply provide the iso instead.

My last hope is to understand the TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.1.update file, the format of which can hopefully be digested by TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4 in some way. So the question is: What is its file format? It is not a TAR. Is it a binary?

Rana

Cadet
Sooo, its a squashfs containing yet another squashfs containing a Debian system.

My impression is that the update mechanism that Anglefish provides differs substantially from the update format in which Bluefin is provided. Thank you so much!

sretalla