Motherboard upgrade.

Hermit

Dabbler
Hi, I'm planing to add another pool and upgrade my motherboard for a new one (m5a78l-m) in order to be able to increase RAM memory because in my current setup it is limited to only 8GB because of the motherboard and according to the TrueNAS dashboard it is permanently maxed out.

But before I do that I'd like to make sure that I correctly understand that I can simply unplug the three 8TB drives of my first pool from the old motherboard and simply plug them into any SATA ports on my new motherboard and after booting up the system the pool should simply show up like nothing happened and I should be able to access all data on the discs.

If that is so I'd also like to ask if I can unplug the three drives from the motherboard (SATA2) and plug them into my 9240-8i (SATA3) instead and still simply boot up the system and the pool and all data in it will still show up like it was before the upgrade.

I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U5.
CPU: FX-4300
MB: N68C-GS FX
RAM: 8GB DDR3
(max)
HDD 3x8TB

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd like to make sure that I correctly understand that I can simply unplug the three 8TB drives of my first pool from the old motherboard and simply plug them into any SATA ports on my new motherboard and after booting up the system the pool should simply show up like nothing happened and I should be able to access all data on the discs.
Yes, this will work. The only thing that might require reconfiguration is your network settings, if you've manually configured an interface and the new motherboard uses a different driver.
upgrade my motherboard for a new one (m5a78l-m)
This is a bad choice of motherboard for use with TrueNAS.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Yes, this is supported.

Hermit

Dabbler
Yes, this will work. The only thing that might require reconfiguration is your network settings, if you've manually configured an interface and the new motherboard uses a different driver.

This is a bad choice of motherboard for use with TrueNAS.
Is it worse then the N68C-GS FX? I know it doesn't support ECC ram and it needs an Intel NIC (I do have one) but is there anything else that makes that board a bad choice?

somethingweird

Contributor
Why settle with a motherboard max 16GB of RAM ? I would look into 32GB motherboard - just for price comparison.

Hermit

Dabbler
Why settle with a motherboard max 16GB of RAM ? I would look into 32GB motherboard - just for price comparison.
According to the manufacturer it is 32GB motherboard. That and its compatibility with the rest of my hardware is why I chose it.

somethingweird

Contributor
According to the manufacturer it is 32GB motherboard. That and its compatibility with the rest of my hardware is why I chose it.

ah.. I was looking at M5A78L-M LX3 not M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3