BUILD Motherboard suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindsay

Dabbler
Hey all,

Getting close to finalizing all of the parts for my build but im a bit stuck on the motherboard

Right now I have 32GB (8x4GB) of micron ddr3 1333 ecc registered ram (its the super low profile stuff) and i was hoping to find a socket 1150 motherboard to use that with.

Planing on getting one of the 3000 series pentium chips (ie G3450). I was hoping to not have to rebuy ram but it i dont see anything i can get.

I was looking at SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O but it lists DDR3 1600 unbuffered

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O looks like it supports registered but it lists 1600.

Any suggestions on a board that i could use that cpu/ram with?

If not then my plan b is to find a motherboard and then buy some used compatible DDR3 ECC ram for (DDR4 ECC is too expensive right now for me)

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Right now I have 32GB (8x4GB) of micron ddr3 1333 ecc registered ram (its the super low profile stuff) and i was hoping to find a socket 1150 motherboard to use that with.
Not going to happen. Socket 1150 motherboards would use unbuffered RAM; to use registered, you'd need a Socket 2011 board.

Blindsay

Dabbler
Not going to happen. Socket 1150 motherboards would use unbuffered RAM; to use registered, you'd need a Socket 2011 board.

ah, yeah i actually have dual E5-2670s right now but im trying to move to something smaller and more power efficient (the motherboard/case those things run in are huge)

Figures too because Registered RAM is dirt cheap but Unbuffered seems to be a good bit more. They get you one way or the other.....

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Simply moving to a single-socket Xeon E5 should provide most of the power reduction you'd get with a Xeon E3 system.

Blindsay

Dabbler
Simply moving to a single-socket Xeon E5 should provide most of the power reduction you'd get with a Xeon E3 system.

eh? its a 8c/16t Sandybridge-EP chip vs a 2c/2t Pentium haswell chip. Although i just spaced id have to buy RAM anyways because i have 8x 4GB sticks and those boards only have 4 slots.

So its either,

-Buy a socket 2011 board and use a single one of my E5-2670s (or maybe find a cheap lower power one)
-Find a deal on 4x 8GB DDR ECC unbuffered and use one of the Supermicro socket 1150 boards
-Buy a new board/cpu along with DDR4

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
its a 8c/16t Sandybridge-EP chip vs a 2c/2t Pentium haswell chip.
So what? It's marginally higher idle consumption for the extra cores, a bit for the more complicated PCH, slightly higher idle consumption for the generational leap.

Blindsay

Dabbler
So what? It's marginally higher idle consumption for the extra cores, a bit for the more complicated PCH, slightly higher idle consumption for the generational leap.

I want something thats lower power as it will be on 24/7

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's fine, but is it worth spending that much more cash for a small reduction? You know, it's a 20% of the cost for 80% of the benefit sort of situation.

Blindsay

Dabbler
That's fine, but is it worth spending that much more cash for a small reduction? You know, it's a 20% of the cost for 80% of the benefit sort of situation.

I'm not sure it will even save me money. Socket 2011 boards are not exactly cheap. A socket 1150/51 board on newegg are $150, socket 2011 is like $300

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's true, but Xeon E3s aren't very cheap, either. Plus the RAM...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh, I misread, you're getting a Pentium. Yeah, that would cut significant cost. Is that okay for your workload? It's a significant step down. I mean, it's fine for file sharing and stuff, so it's perfectly feasible in many scenarios.

Blindsay

Dabbler
Oh, I misread, you're getting a Pentium. Yeah, that would cut significant cost. Is that okay for your workload? It's a significant step down. I mean, it's fine for file sharing and stuff, so it's perfectly feasible in many scenarios.

This box will be strictly for file sharing. I will have a separate box for my vm's

Blindsay

Dabbler
So it looks like the cheapest way out of this is to just buy a 2011 board for ~$300 and use one of my existing cpus (I have an ES 2660 i could use, i wanted to sell my pair of 2670s which are not ES after moving to the new setup)

Otherwise its like $400 for RAM + $200 mobo + $??? for a CPU

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh, Engineering Sample? Those can be quite problematic, especially because they might not get microcode updates. It's a bit of a lottery.

$400 for RAM
That's worse than I expected. This damned shortage is a pain in the ass.

Blindsay

Dabbler
Oh, Engineering Sample? Those can be quite problematic, especially because they might not get microcode updates. It's a bit of a lottery.

That's worse than I expected. This damned shortage is a pain in the ass.

Yeah i have a pair of ES 2660s (not being used currently) and a pair of retail 2670s (in my server now).

Yeah RAM is insane right now, and unbuffered seems to be harder to find (at least when i looked on newegg)

edit: just to confirm, if i want to use registered ram i have to use socket 2011 (even with new stuff)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.