Most used TrueNAS SCALE Apps in 2023

What was your most used TrueNAS SCALE App in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are excited to share the following list of the most frequently utilized TrueNAS SCALE Apps in 2023:

Plex: The Plex app makes it easy to organize, stream, and access your personal media collection across your devices.

Nextcloud: Coming in at #1 for the year is Nextcloud which makes it easy to sync and access all of your files by building your own private cloud.

Radarr: Radarr is a free and open-source movie collection manager. Easily sort and organize your movie collection with Radarr.

Jellyfin: Jellyfin is a volunteer-built media solution that puts you in control of managing and streaming your media.

Netdata: The app collects data including CPU usage, disk activity, bandwidth, and much more to give the user an immediate overview of what is happening to their system.

What’s your favorite app for TrueNAS SCALE? Share with us in this thread!

Last edited:

DGTM

Dabbler
I found it strange that there was no Tailscale app on this list, as it is the best app for securely accessing your NAS from the outside.
Is there a bigger list of the most used apps, like top 50? It would be interesting to see some statistics as well, like number of users using this app.

Whattteva

Wizard
Wow, I would think Plex or Jellyfin would be #1, but it's Nextcloud of all things? I hate that thing. It's so buggy. It's slow and constantly drops synced files with my devices, particularly the phones. After a few months of so much pain, I pulled the plug and replaced it with Seafile. What a night and day difference. Way faster and way way more reliable also. I can now rest assured knowing that my files are actually backed up and don't have to constantly check the sync queue to make sure the sync is not stalling and files are getting dropped. It doesn't have all the extra web apps Nextcloud has, but I only need it for the syncing.

zyghom

Cadet
Wow, I would think Plex or Jellyfin would be #1, but it's Nextcloud of all things? I hate that thing. It's so buggy. It's slow and constantly drops synced files with my devices, particularly the phones. After a few months of so much pain, I pulled the plug and replaced it with Seafile. What a night and day difference. Way faster and way way more reliable also. I can now rest assured knowing that my files are actually backed up and don't have to constantly check the sync queue to make sure the sync is not stalling and files are getting dropped. It doesn't have all the extra web apps Nextcloud has, but I only need it for the syncing.
I totally agree with your opinion about Nextcloud - it is so immature I would never use in any production and I use it only on top of 2 other cloud services.
I voted Jellyfin but to be honest: I don't host any app on TrueNAS itself - I am a believer: one device for one task.
So all my apps are on Proxmox and TrueNAS has to deliver only one thing (to Proxmox and to others): storage (management).
Funny thing: I use TrueNAS also as TimeMachine - yes I know it is only samba but the special case of it so if I was to vote it would be: TimeMachine ;-)

Whattteva

Wizard
I totally agree with your opinion about Nextcloud - it is so immature I would never use in any production and I use it only on top of 2 other cloud services.
I voted Jellyfin but to be honest: I don't host any app on TrueNAS itself - I am a believer: one device for one task.
So all my apps are on Proxmox and TrueNAS has to deliver only one thing (to Proxmox and to others): storage (management).
Funny thing: I use TrueNAS also as TimeMachine - yes I know it is only samba but the special case of it so if I was to vote it would be: TimeMachine ;-)
Ah yes, I was mainly just commenting about Nextcloud. I do not host any apps on TrueNAS or even run SCALE for that matter.
I only run CORE for pure NAS and all my services run on a vanilla FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE server in a dozen separate jails managed by BastilleBSD.

It's a way more reliable setup. No unexpected breakages or the dreaded "stuck in deploying" that so many SCALE users seem to have. I can lock individual package versions if needed. They get their own separate network stack and can even run different (earlier) versions of the kernel. What's not to love?

GuyFromMars

Dabbler
We are excited to share the following list of the most frequently utilized TrueNAS SCALE Apps in 2023:

Nextcloud: Coming in at #1 for the year is Nextcloud which makes it easy to sync and access all of your files by building your own private cloud.

Plex: The Plex app makes it easy to organize, stream, and access your personal media collection across your devices.

Radarr: Radarr is a free and open-source movie collection manager. Easily sort and organize your movie collection with Radarr.

Netdata: The app collects data including CPU usage, disk activity, bandwidth, and much more to give the user an immediate overview of what is happening to their system.

Jellyfin: Jellyfin is a volunteer-built media solution that puts you in control of managing and streaming your media.

What’s your favorite app for TrueNAS SCALE? Share with us in this thread!
Nextcloud hands down, although I use the TruecCharts version, in full disclosure. @wsoteros Any chance you or @Kris Moore could speak into this post: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/kubernetes-for-homelabs.114196/post-796650

...I love the idea of Apps, but in practice it's been rough and I would appreciate a bit more clarification from iX.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Jellyfin is the winner for me personally :)

Nextcloud hands down, although I use the TruecCharts version, in full disclosure. @wsoteros Any chance you or @Kris Moore could speak into this post: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/kubernetes-for-homelabs.114196/post-796650

...I love the idea of Apps, but in practice it's been rough and I would appreciate a bit more clarification from iX.

We're very aware of how many of the more complex apps setups tend to be overly fragile right now. Some fixes and improvements in the upcoming 23.10.2 and then Dragonfish. But longer-term we're working on something much better which will be way more simplified and stable in the long run. Stay tuned.

johnash

Dabbler
why not vote the apps people always use? for me, I put most often use apps into the virtual machine, where I can deploy by docker.

abe74

Cadet
Same problem, I tired the tutorial on youtube and the written one. No joy. It keeps deploying and finally it got deployed. When trying to login it asks for database login and to install a database. Really confused if I'm doing something wrong. Please advise.