most Silent FAN 80mm for IcyDock - FatCage MB153SP-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikozo6

Patron
Hello
i am looking for the most silent and smart FAN to use wiht my IcyDock - FatCage MB153SP-B
should be a 80mm,
the board to connect will be the SuperMicro X11SSM-F

a open Point is, do i have to conect the PIN to the Icy Dock itself or would it be possible to connect one the Motherboard?

thanks for feedback and sugestions

have a nice day
vinc

lukyjay

Contributor
You're fine to plug the fan in to the motherboard, but you need to make sure the IcyDock won't scream/beep/throw warnings at you.

a open Point is, do i have to conect the PIN to the Icy Dock itself or would it be possible to connect one the Motherboard?
From the manufacturers web site:
"The included 80mm cooling fan also can be easily replaced and maintained, as the unit it can be fully removed and replaced with aftermarket cooling fans of the same size. To expand the range of compatible fans, both 2 and 3 pin fan power ports are available and can be easily accessed."

This would imply it likely doesn't know what speed the fan is spinning at, and wont know if it has failed.

The best way to test is to simply run it without a fan and see what happens. Of course once your computer has booted and is working, turn it off and plug the fan back in.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And note that you do need a disk plugged in for it to turn on the fan.

As for suggestions, I have a word of warning:
These things require a decent amount of static pressure. Your typical 80mm by 25mm quiet fan is not enough, hence the somewhat noisy fan they include.

Furthermore, controlling the fan is not trivial, since you have to monitor the drive temperatures. Don't just plug the fan into the motherboard without making sure that drive cooling will be adequately maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.