Hard Disk Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After much research, the time has finally come to settle on proper hardware for my future FreeNAS file server. Unfortunately, it's hard to find hard data about HDD enclosures.

Specifically, my plan is to take an ATX chassis with a lot (a lot being 9) of 5.25" drives and use 4-in-3 (or 5-in-3) HDD enclosures (unfortunately, rackmounted stuff is out of the question).

My current solution is a WHS 2011 system with a similar Chassis + adapter setup using a Lian-Li EX-H34B filled with four 2TB WD Greens.
S.M.A.R.T. data for the four drives indicates they've never reached 40ºC.
Unfortunately, due the redacted that is WHS 2011, I've never really trusted it, which means I'm not sure the disks were ever subjected to hard work (like they'd be during a scrub).

Introductions aside, I'd appreciate any information you might have regarding the following options:

Lian-Li EX-H34B (Amazon link)

Advantages:
  • Cost
  • Easily replaceable 120mm fan run by the motherboard
Disadvantages
  • Installation is extremely frustrating (cables have to be attached before placement in the chassis and placed inside the enclosure)
  • Airflow is obstructed by the SATA cables in some situations
  • No individual activity/presence LEDs
Icy Dock MB455SPF-B and MB454SPF-B (Link and Link)

Advantages:
  • Individual status LEDs
  • Fan looks adequate (nominally replaceable)
  • Installation should be easier
Disadvantages
  • Cost
  • Airflow looks somewhat dubious
  • Fan looks noisy and proprietary
Icy Dock MB155SP-B and MB154SP-B (Link and Link)

Advantages:
  • Individual status LEDs
  • Fan seems to be a standard 80mm fan
Disadvantages
  • Cost
  • Fan looks puny (a larger one might need some new screws)
RaidSonic Icy Box IB-555SSK and IB-554SSK (Link and Link)
(Talk about original names /s)

Advantages:
  • Individual status LEDs
  • Fan looks reasonable...
Disadvantages
  • Even more expensive
  • Airflow looks particularly bad on the 5-drive version and not very good on the 4-drive version
  • Fan looks proprietary and noisy
Basically, I'm unsure about the cooling performance of these options (or any others you might have to suggest). I'm also tending towards 4-drive solutions, but curious about the 5-drive ones for future reference.

The chassis I plan to use is the Sharkoon T9 (Unsure about Economy or Value).

For reference, here's the preliminary hardware selection:

Supermicro X10SLM+-F
Intel Core i3 4330
Crucial 2x 8GB ECC (CT448635)
6x Western Digital Red 3TB
Seasonic G-450

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've used those Icy Docks before. They work really well for having a few hot-swap drive bay in a case that doesn't have it built in. But I've always found cooling them to be a PITA. I've also learned the hard way that replacing those fans are pretty much impossible. It goes out and you are screwed. For that reason I'll never buy them for a server again. :P

Other then that, not a bad build at all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Here's a place that has real nice cases that are made in the USA. (warning.. pricey)
http://www.caselabs-store.com/pc-cases/

Unfortunately, they're too pricey, especially after shipping them here and import duties. 23% tax isn't very fun...
They don't seem to have much in the way of hot swap bays, which is what I'm looking for (not for actual hot swapping).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Update: I'm going to run an experiment on the Lian-Li EX-H34B. I'll order four of the WD Reds now and torture them in that cage and see what the performance is like with the stock fan. I might also order one of those fancy new "Industrial" Noctua fans to see how the cage performs with a better fan.

I've also been researching 80mm fans for the Icy Dock MB155SP-B and MB154SP-B, as these seem to have the more convincing airflow, comparable with the Lian-Li cage. There are a few San Ace 80mmx32mm fans with PWM that aren't outrageously expensive (~25€ from a regional distributor), but they would require crimping connectors onto their cables. I'll keep researching these cages, to see if cooling is acceptable (I assume you meant the Icy Dock MB455SPF-B and MB454SPF-B and their proprietary fans, Cyberjock).

TheSmoker

Patron
I use both type of the Raidsonic that you mentioned. Working flawlessly for more than 1 year now. Fan is standard 80mm by 25mm thick, very easy to replace and clean.
My wd greens having between 34 and 36 Celsius with a very low noise low airflow enermax fan. Original fan is hood, pushing a lot of air but noisy as well.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I use both type of the Raidsonic that you mentioned. Working flawlessly for more than 1 year now. Fan is standard 80mm by 25mm thick, very easy to replace and clean.
My wd greens having between 34 and 36 Celsius with a very low noise low airflow enermax fan. Original fan is hood, pushing a lot of air but noisy as well.

It's hard to tell from the press images, are the cutouts in the PCB aligned so as to allow direct airflow to the lowest disk? Is the stock fan too noisy for an office setting?

TheSmoker

Patron
It's hard to tell from the press images, are the cutouts in the PCB aligned so as to allow direct airflow to the lowest disk? Is the stock fan too noisy for an office setting?
No problem with temperatures whatsoever. Stock is ok for office especially if you have oem boxes. ;) If you have a very quiet office then you might want to change the fan with any aftermarket fan you will deem fit.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No problem with temperatures whatsoever. Stock is ok for office especially if you have oem boxes. ;) If you have a very quiet office then you might want to change the fan with any aftermarket fan you will deem fit.

Ok, thanks for the information!

Unfortunately, Amazon ran out of WD Reds just before I ordered the first four, so it'll be a while before I can get any decent data on the Lian-Li enclosure...

grep137

Dabbler
Introductions aside, I'd appreciate any information you might have regarding the following options:

Lian-Li EX-H34B (Amazon link)

Do not put your drives into that enclosure without testing it with a junk drive first and/or male - male SATA power and data cables (I can send you a link to the place I found mine) and a volt meter. When I put one of my 3 TB WD Reds (which had been working fine for nearly 6 months) into the exact same enclosure (actually mine is silver) and powered on the computer the drive literally started on fire. I can send you a more detailed description of my experience, including e-mails and photos, if you'd like, to convince you that it wasn't user error and that you should test it before you use it.

Would I buy the enclosure again? Yes, it's a great enclosure, and with the replacement circuit board they sent me the enclosure is now working fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do not put your drives into that enclosure without testing it with a junk drive first and/or male - male SATA power and data cables (I can send you a link to the place I found mine) and a volt meter. When I put one of my 3 TB WD Reds (which had been working fine for nearly 6 months) into the exact same enclosure (actually mine is silver) and powered on the computer the drive literally started on fire. I can send you a more detailed description of my experience, including e-mails and photos, if you'd like, to convince you that it wasn't user error and that you should test it before you use it.

Would I buy the enclosure again? Yes, it's a great enclosure, and with the replacement circuit board they sent me the enclosure is now working fine.

Holy shit...

I'm currently running one of those, and I have to say it's been working well for almost three years now. What happened, were the power cables reversed? The molex connector with the wires soldered onto the PCB does look a bit crummy.

grep137

Dabbler
Actually, that was my first thought too, that the molex connector had been soldered onto the circuit board backwards, and the 12v and the 5v wires had been switched. My second thought was that the 12v and 5v pins had been switched in the molex connector on the power supply (PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 1200); I checked that with a multimeter (I also sent the PSU back to the manufacturer to check for damage). I even tried to force the molex connectors on the PSU and the enclosure together in reverse as a paranoid check.

I still can't figure out exactly why the problem occurred. Although, I am wondering if Lian Li buys their circuit boards from a company which has really poor quality control, because I also purchased a hard drive power switch from them and when I powered that up I heard a soft popping noise and smelled something burning. None of my drives were damaged that time thankfully.

Unfortunately I really like some of the stuff that they make, so even after all of that I'm still unable to overcome my Lian Li addiction.

Also, I do wonder if the whole circuit board could have possibly started on fire if I hadn't had cut the power immediately.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, the drives have arrived and the first four are undergoing a round of badblocks testing (I didn't expect the -w option to take 2+ days for each 3TB drive, but that's just a side comment...). This means I have some preliminary data to share regarding the Lian-Li EX-H34B (I'll be sure to upload a nice report when all is done):

With the stock fan, four 3TB WD Reds (WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, which is said to have three platters) and the crappiest case the store had three years ago when I built my WHS 2011 server, worst-case temperatures seem to be ~10ºC above ambient temperatures (~25ºC - It's been a cold summer around here...). This means the drives are running at up to 35ºC (three at 33ºC, one at 34ºC at this moment).

I'm hoping the fancy Noctua (NF-F12 industrialPPC 3000 PWM) will decrease the temperature difference, as a 10 degree difference in a very hot day can easily push the drives into the mid-40s. Should have some preliminary results on that one in 3-4 days.

Anyone have an idea of how much heat to expect from a four-platter drive (or even a five-platter drive)? WD's specs suggest a ~10% increase (comparing 3TB Red and 4TB Red power consumption).

Status
Not open for further replies.