More pinned threads PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragon75

Wizard
We have a great resource section full of all the information that at least 60% of new forum members are looking for. The problem is that most people either forget or just don't know that it's there. I would like to see these amazing noob oriented guides pinned to there respective forums to make them easier to find. Trust me, I get it, people need to learn to use the search button. But the better abel noobs are able to help themselves the less irritated the active and supporting forum members will be and that means we are more likely to continue helping people and building an amazing community. A few items I would suggest pinning:
Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system
Hard Drive Burn-in Testing
Replacing a failed/failing disk
FreeNAS and Samba (SMB) permissions (Video)
FN11.1 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Ombi, Transmission, Organizr

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The problem is that we quickly end up with situations like this:

upload_2018-8-20_18-7-59.png

On my 2560x1440 panel, I only get two non-sticky posts.

kdragon75

Wizard
I understand. It should be kept to a minimum and general information at that. For example, The supermicro board FAQ is great but this could be linked to by a more general hardware thread. I don't want to cover every topic under the sun, only the the few that cover 80% of first time posters asking about failed drives for example. I do agree that it was a little nuts...

Maybe an alternative would be one pinned thread with links to useful reading in the introductions forum. I know at least two people in here have signatures with some useful links in it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
only the the few that cover 80% of first time posters asking about failed drives for example.
...and even then they wouldn't read them, or do a search, or even think for just a minute about what they're seeing. Witness the dozens of "I got an error message about bad sectors, what does it mean" threads.

...and even then they wouldn't read them, or do a search, or even think for just a minute about what they're seeing. Witness the dozens of "I got an error message about bad sectors, what does it mean" threads.
I really really really want to disagree with you..... but I simply can't your point is too valid..... lol

kdragon75

Wizard
That's why the pinned threads should be titled as such. All the noob will go "ME TO, I CAN THREAD JACK!"

danb35

Hall of Famer
Witness the dozens of "I got an error message about bad sectors, what does it mean" threads.
I guess these are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's not just that they don't bother to search (though that's frustrating enough), but that they don't even seem to think about what the message is saying. I don't see how anyone can read those messages and not at least suspect that the disk is reporting bad sectors, but apparently people do. all. the. time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A surprising amount of people who should know better believes in the infallibility of hard disks. When someone asked me why I needed a server, I asked them where they kept their important stuff. The answer? The laptop they carried around everywhere!

danb35

Hall of Famer
A surprising amount of people who should know better believes in the infallibility of hard disks.
I guess some lucky people have never lost data to a disk failure.

kdragon75

Wizard
A surprising amount of people who should know better believes in the infallibility of hard disks. When someone asked me why I needed a server, I asked them where they kept their important stuff. The answer? The laptop they carried around everywhere!
I work with enough IT people to know this all to well. They give us a bad name.

Maybe an alternative would be one pinned thread with links to useful reading in the introductions forum. I know at least two people in here have signatures with some useful links in it.

I think this is the best approach. At the very least, it'd mean helping new users would be as telling them that the sticky post answers their question. It would help to cut down on the frustration caused by answering the same questions over and over.

I remember one user who was looking into FreeNAS because they were reaching the limit of the external USB 3.0 disks they were using as a "backup" (that was actually the only copy of the data). The limit they were reaching wasn't capacity though, it was drive letters in Windows! 20+ El Cheapo external drives as their only "backup".

kdragon75

Wizard
The limit they were reaching wasn't capacity though, it was drive letters in Windows!
That's an easy fix, just mount as folders and keep adding drives and hubs. It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.