OpenVPN not starting in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
Hello.

I followed this guide to set up Transmission + OpenVPN in an iocage jail: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

The odd thing is that it initially worked great. But, upon reset a few days later, it stopped working.

The jail loads up. But, when I run ifconfig, the tun0 connection from OpenVPN does not appear listed.

Any ideas on what the problem is or how to troubleshoot?

Thank you.

kdragon75

Wizard
But, upon reset a few days later, it stopped working.
Stop using generic phrases. What reset the OpenVPN service? The Jail? the server?

AGAIN what version of FreeNAS are you running. What errors did you see?

indivision

Guru
FreeNAS 11.2 beta 3

I reset the server. But, after everything reloaded, Transmission has no external connections. I am assuming this is because tun0 is not available and it is otherwise restricted from the internet.

I saw no errors. I have described what I see. tun0 no longer appears in ifconfig report like it did when I first followed the guide.

I have tried to start up openvpn manually with the service command. But, that does not result in bringing tun0 back.

I was considering that maybe my settings (made via the guide) could be off. But, that doesn't really make sense considering that the entire set up was functioning initially.

The guide includes a line to run at pre-init. I set that up. But, it seems like the problem could be related to that and tun0 doesn't work right with iocage without some adjustment there?

bobstah

Cadet
Hey there, new to the forum here. Im running 11.2rc2 and am having the same problem. Was working fine before with no issues running my transmission jail through openvpn but stopped working. Cant attest to when it happened exactly but theres been a series of server restarts during that time. Ive tried to delete the jail and retrace my steps to no avail. Manually starting openvpn doesnt work either. “Starting openvpn” comes up in shell but doesnt seem to be doing much. It shows openvpn as a running service. When i try to stop it with a service command, it says its not running. Have you been able to figure it out?

indivision

Guru
Hey there, new to the forum here. Im running 11.2rc2 and am having the same problem. Was working fine before with no issues running my transmission jail through openvpn but stopped working. can't attest to when it happened exactly but theres been a series of server restarts during that time. I've tried to delete the jail and retrace my steps to no avail. Manually starting openvpn doesnt work either. “Starting openvpn” comes up in shell but doesnt seem to be doing much. It shows openvpn as a running service. When i try to stop it with a service command, it says its not running. Have you been able to figure it out?

I never was able to get that arrangement working properly with 11.2. There could be improved guides around now though. I have not really checked since then.

One alternative you might look at is qBittorrent and socks instead of transmission and VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.