DNS issues, iocage on 11.1 U5 and nightly "General LDNS error"

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Following the jackett install guide located here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

Step 2 is seemingly creating, most of a working jail but brings in this error.
Code:
Error: error sending query: General LDNS error	

Command being typed is:
Code:
iocage create -n "jackett" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.121/255.255.255.0" defaultrouter="192.168.0.254" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

Both nightly and U5.
I can run nslookup as root on the FreeNAS host itself, works fine.

Anyone know what this might be? I specifically went into my test VM FreeNAS host and added manual DNS entries, I can ping the DNS servers, I can nslookup using the DNS servers.

diskdiddler

Wizard
The precise log is here:

Code:
WARNING: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.			 
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer						 
release within the next 2 months.											   
src component not installed, skipped											
Installing updates... done.													 
jackett successfully created!												   
Testing SRV response to FreeBSD												 
Error: error sending query: General LDNS error								 
{repo} could not be reached, please check your DNS							 
[root@freenastest ~]#					 

8-bit Yoda

Explorer
(...) I specifically went into my test VM FreeNAS host (...)

Are you running FreeNAS in a VM, what kind? Your virtual network adapter may not support VNET. Did you check that you can ping www.google.com or even just the IP of the FreeNAS host from within the jail?

Pyroson

Cadet
I am having the same issue. I had to restart my server this morning and since then I haven't been able to communicate with any of the 5 iocage jails that I have setup.

@8-bit Yoda I can't ping google or any other IP on my local network. I checked my router and the 5 iocage jails aren't even listed. Somehow I have lost all communication with them. I checked the status of each one and they are reporting that they are up and running. I used the same guide that the OP has linked to setup all 5.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Are you running FreeNAS in a VM, what kind? Your virtual network adapter may not support VNET. Did you check that you can ping www.google.com or even just the IP of the FreeNAS host from within the jail?

Thanks for the reply / help
I'm using VMWare 14. Tried both bridged and NAT mode.

I have just some googling and found multiple threads discussing "VNET" issues and all kinds of problems with iocage, many of the people had to add tunables, etc? (I'm not entirely following)

Upon reading this, I made some adjustments and now I'm in a much better place.

I ran this:
Code:
iocage create -n "jackett" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE dhcp=on vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

Instead of:
Code:
iocage create -n "jackett" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.121/255.255.255.0" defaultrouter="192.168.0.254" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

End result, worked:
Code:
WARNING: FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.			 
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer						 
release within the next 2 months.											   
src component not installed, skipped											
Installing updates... done.													 
jackett successfully created!												   
jackett requires bpf=yes!   

diskdiddler

Wizard
NOTE: I do not know, if there are larger fundamental issues with 11.1 U5 (I did nightly) and VMNAT or VMNET or something, but upon googling "iocage network issues" and "iocage dhcp" etc, I found multiple threads here, unfortunately.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-network-issues.60402/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-jail-in-fn-11-1-networking-not-working.60180/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-issues.61639/

I hope (pray) that much smarter people have logged jobs, if there is a bigger fault underneath and they can fix them?

Pyroson

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I can just switch my already built iocage jails to DHCP or if I will have to destroy them and start anew.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

diskdiddler

Wizard
Just stop, edit, change and start, should work. Much easier in nightly builds with the ui though.

Pyroson

Cadet
Question about the nightly builds, how stable are they? I depend a lot on my server and like it to keep running with minimum bugs. That's why I keep back on the "stable" builds.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I would consider beta, not nightly. (They are stable for me, but I don't keep my data on them)

diskdiddler

Wizard

You do infact seem to be on the right page, something is broken, somewhere.
See here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ware-having-iocage-networking-problems.68379/

I don't know precisely what the fault is, but something is simply not routing right or performing right. A brand new, clean, nightly build with all those patches, still won't install an iocage jail, properlly, whereas U5 can on my real server (which I didn't want to do, until I'd finished testing)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.