Missing Datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
So I recently had some issues with my Jails drive which was setup as 2 mirrored drives, one drive failed, I replaced the drive, accidently added it as a stripe and now I am missing 4 datasets out of 6.
I looked in the Jails drive and it still has the datasets there, just not in the GUI. I also have all my jails/jail mounts intact. I recovered from a snapshot of my jails drive and I reloaded a configuration file for FreeNAS taken recently...

What the heck is my next step??? I would like to break the newly made stripe from the jails drive and turn it back into a mirror, recover the missing Datasets in the GUI and get my plugins working again... Suggestions?

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
I would like to break the newly made stripe
You can't do that without destroying the data on it. You can probably use ZFS send to copy your jail pool to your main pool, destroy the jail pool, rebuild as a mirror, zfs send to restore the pool from the backup. Ill let others chime in though as this is just a guess and there may be better was to handle this.

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
ok. i was just browsing in the Jails drive and the two datasets that i thought were there, are not... so, new plan: i still have 4 good jails on the drive (the non plugin kind), how do i transfer those jails with ZFS send (whats the syntax)?

Pancackewaffle

Dabbler
well after many an hour of trying to find a solution, i finally found a post that was pretty close https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...e-my-plugin-jail-to-another-pool.32906/page-2

i did put my own spin on the rsync command though rsync -avz /SOURCE /DEST just to be safe i did this individually per dataset.

Explanation: make new volume > make new dataset(s) where you want your jails to go > rsync old jail dataset location to new jail dataset location > then rsync the "hidden" files from within the main Jails drive (the .warden files/directorys) command below. i also then did the random hidden files as well such as .nextcloud and .radarr.

rsync -avz /tank/jails/.war* /tank/newjailsdrive/

this worked better than i thought it would, just switched over the jails root directory and there they were (also did multiple restarts of the jails and the machine to make sure that it worked).

love this community, thanks everyone for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.