Mirrored pool offline rather than degraded after 1 drive 'failure'

Stu70

Cadet
Hi all

I would appreciate some help. Hopefully the answer is obvious, but I have searched many posts unsuccessfully.
Im a newbie to TrueNas, but I have worked in IT for decades so pickup quickly.

BACKGROUND:
Im looking to move my storage to TrueNAS, but before I do I want to test a few scenarios to ensure I know how to recover before they happen in real life.

One scenario that happened to me previously (not on TrueNAS), was a single disk failing catastrophically and 'disappearing'. I was running hardware RAID1 (2 mirrors) and everything worked as expected. The array showed as degraded, I was able to finish the days work, then perform my backup early (just in case) and finally replace one disk. All good.

I wanted to test similar on TrueNAS. Ive setup a vanilla TrueNAS core instance with a single pool using two mirrored SATA 3TB drives. System is also on this pool. Aside from the boot disk, there are no other disks. All is functioning well.

MY TEST:
With TrueNAS functioning normally, I unplugged the SATA cable from one mirror disk. The pool went to status "Online (unhealthy)". I could still access my data, so all good so far. Next I shutdown the server to simulate removal of the 'failed' drive until a new one was available (I had done this previously as the drive was making noise and getting hot, I didnt want to leave it spinning until a new one arrived. Also aside from my dodgy 'pull the SATA cable' above, I always power down before messing inside - its too easy to make mistakes).

PROBLEM:
On reboot, the TrueNAS array showed status OFFLINE. No access to data on the remaining mirror and no way back. I had expected "Online (unhealthy)" or "Degraded". I have spent a few hours reading posts and trying different things but have got nowhere. FYI reconnecting the unplugged drive returned everything to normal after reboot, but obviously I wouldnt have that option in real life!

What am I missing? After reboot the pool should remain accessible with one good mirror.

Cheers

Stu70

Cadet
Scrub this. Newbie error - Seems my pool was Striped rather than Mirrored. My test was invalid.
Nuking the pool and starting over (mirrored this time) and it worked fine.

Moderator, happy for this thread to be deleted, unless you see any value in it to others. I cant find a delete option myself.

Odd though that the pool went to status "Online (unhealthy)" when one (striped) disk was disconnected (see original post). This shouldnt be possible right? Is the status is inaccurate until reboot? For this reason I never considered the pool wasnt mirrored.

Anyway, all a good learning experience!