I am getting this message sent to me from my server (mail):

Checking status of gmirror(8) devices:
Name Status Components
mirror/swap0 DEGRADED ada0p1 (ACTIVE)

When checking volume status I get this:
nzeV7Rh.png

When doing zpool status in cli I get this:
ryoFQRa.png

Can someone explain to me what is wrong? All drives are "online" and "healthy" but still I get the degraded message sent to me, what is wrong and what should I do?

Also on a side note, I am running to smart tests on my drives, long and short, I would like to get the results emailed to me, is that possible, any links to any guides on how to set that up?

Thank you for your time and help.

cneeper

Cadet
I just started digging into an identical error on my own system. My FreeNAS box has three sets of mirrored hard drives. In my case, I think I have a marginal hard drive. I'm not knowledgeable enough in FreeBSD to know exactly what to do, but I've been able to determine that there is a swap partition (p1) and a data partition (p2) on my drives. The FreeNAS web interface shows you the status of your data volume, but I don't see anywhere where it shows you the status of the swap partition. In both our cases, the hard drives are online and the data partition's mirror set seems to be fine. But the swap partition is degraded. You can see this by doing "gmirror status" in a shell.

Here are some reference links I ran across:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?gmirror(8)
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-mirror.html

In my case, I rebooted the NAS and the swap partition now has a status of "complete" and is no longer "degraded". I don't have high confidence in the system right now, though, and I'm getting ready to chase down what I think is a HDD read error, which I'm sure is related. Good luck!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also on a side note, I am running to smart tests on my drives, long and short, I would like to get the results emailed to me, is that possible, any links to any guides on how to set that up?
The system will automatically email you if SMART detects errors. If you want regular status emails, you'll need to set up a script to do that. There are a few in the Resources section.

windyboi

Explorer
I'm having the same problem, although unfortunately a reboot didn't resolve the issue. Pomah, did this issue ever return for you? If anyone has any ideas how I can fix this I'd be very grateful.

Checking status of gmirror(8) devices:
Name Status Components
mirror/swap0 COMPLETE ada4p1 (ACTIVE)
ada3p1 (ACTIVE)
mirror/swap1 COMPLETE ada2p1 (ACTIVE)
ada1p1 (ACTIVE)
mirror/swap2 DEGRADED ada0p1 (ACTIVE)

-- End of daily output --

868174d3-e8cc-46b1-916f-1e2cfea6d1e9
112YOmY.png

pomah

Explorer
Well the problem came back after 1 or 2 days, I assumed the installation of FreeNAS on the USB stick was corrupt so I reinstalled on a new USB drive, managed to find one that had MLC memory for a little bit more robust installation and no issues since then.

So reinstall on a new fresh USB drive and it should be gone, there is a function to run on two drives as redundancy, you can google that.

Last edited by a moderator:

windyboi

Explorer
Ok, thanks pomah. My understanding is this will be as simple as 1) Config backup from GUI. 2) Fresh install FreeNAS on new USB. 3) Restore config backup. Is that what you did?

Last edited by a moderator:

pomah

Explorer
I think I did a clean install, I only have 2 users, 2 drives and 1 plugin. But you can use the backup feature too.

Status
Not open for further replies.