MineOS plugin install error - py37-rdiff-backup failed to install

Do you have any other jails or plugins installed on your system, or is this the first one?

Earthy

Cadet
I do have some other jails and plugins, however they shouldn't be interfering with it as I already uninstalled the MineOS WebUI version. (The version which is broken when trying to download from the FreeNAS iXsystems collection, not the one from shell.).

Earthy

Cadet
Ok, I have made some progress. After changing the code from 11.4-RELEASE down to 11.3-RELEASE (For some reason shell was using 11.3), I have managed to go with the download. However, now I'm getting this error:
error1.jpg

FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE is EOL; you should be able to fetch 11.4-RELEASE in a jail. I suspect something went wrong with the download.

Zak

Cadet
Hello Jurgen,
I have been doing some playing around/upgrading to our local mineos server this week. Of course, have run into all kinds of issues:
Currently on TrueNAS Core 12.0 U8.1
I have an 11.3 mineos jail already setup and working which was already installed when I updated from FreeNAS 11.3
No matter what I do to try and update this existing jail (trying to get openjdk17 so I can run a 1.19 minecraft server) I cannot get it to work without breaking.
I found this post and decided to try your method of installing.
I am running into this issue, which is the same thing I keep having with any other option of trying to update/upgrade my existing jail.
The first problem I had was this:
Running your two command lines in comment #4...

root@mcfreenas[~]# fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index/master/mineos.json
mineos.json 962 B 14 MBps 00s
root@mcfreenas[~]# iocage fetch -P mineos.json -n mineos-plugin nat=1
12.2-RELEASE was not found!

I was able to resolve that by following a comment in another post:

Once I did this, I was able to run your command lines again, but got this:

root@mcfreenas[~]# fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index/master/mineos.json
mineos.json 962 B 14 MBps 00s
root@mcfreenas[~]# iocage fetch -P mineos.json -n mineos-plugin nat=1Plugin: mineos
Official Plugin: False
Using RELEASE: 12.2-RELEASE
Using Branch: 12.2-RELEASE
Post-install Artifact: https://github.com/jsegaert/iocage-plugin-mineos.git
These pkgs will be installed:
- py38-rdiff-backup
- screen
- rsync
- gmake
- git-lite
- python38
- node
- npm
- openjdk17
- wget
- bash

Testing Host DNS response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
Testing mineos-plugin's SRV response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
Testing mineos-plugin's DNSSEC response to pkg.FreeBSD.org

Installing plugin packages:
- py38-rdiff-backup...
- py38-rdiff-backup failed to install, retry #1
- py38-rdiff-backup failed to install, retry #2
- py38-rdiff-backup failed to install, retry #3
- screen...
- rsync...
- gmake...
- git-lite...
- python38...
- node...
- npm...
- openjdk17...
- wget...
- bash...

pkg error:

It's the same thing I am running into with every other method of installing either the plugin from the GUI, your manual method here, or anything I try to do when updating the existing jail.

Is there anything that can be done to get this working again?
Thanks for any help.
-n

Thank you for your report. The default version of Python moved from 3.8 to 3.9. I pushed a fix to the Community Plugin repo to fix this for everybody. It may take some time for this patch to make it through the system. In the mean time, you can manually install from the command line as follows:

Code:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index/master/mineos.json
iocage fetch -P mineos.json -n mineos-plugin

Last edited:

Zak

Cadet
Thank you sir! That is fantastic, a quick response as well as everything installing cleanly. If I may, another question myself as well as others will probably want to know - now that openjdk17 is going in as the default java version, a lot of us are going to be left with previously made minecraft servers that were 1.16 and earlier which will not start up without openjdk8.
I have been fiddling around with different scenarios trying to get the original version back:
"Java OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.8.0_265, installed at /usr/local/openjdk8-jre"

Running a "pkg install openjdk8" or "pkg install openjdk8-jre" doesn't give me the same version. The previously installed minecraft servers will start up but then throw a bunch of errors (I am assuming due to version incompatibilities) and then shuts down.

What did work but feels really sloppy (and I'm sure-very incorrectly) was doing a copy folder command from the openjdk8-jre folder in the original mineos jail, to the same folder location in the newly created jail. I also have to edit the server.config file of each of the older existing minecraft servers and add an extra line to tell it to use the copied version.
"java_binary=/usr/local/openjdk8-jre/bin/java"

Is there a way I can just run a pkg install for this specific java 8 version? Also, can I make the java 8 version the default so I don't have to edit the server.config file for every existing minecraft server instance I have? I don't mind adding the extra line in any 1.17+ I create in the future (I actually think that is kind of nice to be able to specify specific versions through the config file) but everything I have created up to this point has been 1.16 versions and earlier that have run using jdk8.
Thanks again for any help here,
-n

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The pkg install command should install OpenJDK 8 just fine, the default JDK is determined by the file /usr/local/etc/javavms. Change that to contain the path to version 8 only and you should be fine. You can then still explicitly configure 17 for individual servers.

Liriel

Dabbler
Thank you for your report. The default version of Python moved from 3.8 to 3.9. I pushed a fix to the Community Plugin repo to fix this for everybody. It may take some time for this patch to make it through the system. In the mean time, you can manually install from the command line as follows:

Code:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsegaert/iocage-plugin-index/mineos_py39/mineos.json
The following link returns a 404 error for me:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsegaert/iocage-plugin-index/mineos_py39/mineos.json

Liriel

Dabbler
@Jurgen Thanks! Is there any way I can use that json to update my current install as opposed to a fresh install? When I used my current jail ("minecraft") as the last argument in the iocage command, it created a new jail called "minecraft_1" rather than updating the existing jail.

It will automatically fix itself once the patch get merged in the 12.2-RELEASE branch.

The best way to avoid such issues is to separate your Minecraft server data from the jail by creating a dataset to store your Minecraft server data on your main pool, and then mount that dataset inside your jail. There are a few posts in this forum with example instructions on how to do this.

ray57913

Cadet
So trying to install it and getting the same error. Tried the patch and the first line works but the second line returns:
Host: 12.2-RELEASE is not greater than target: 13.1-RELEASE
This is unsupported

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Host: 12.2-RELEASE is not greater than target: 13.1-RELEASE
What is your TrueNAS version? What is your jail version?

You need to run a current supported version of TrueNAS and a current supported version of FreeBSD in your jail. That means 13.0-U3 for TrueNAS and 13.1-p3 for the jail.

ray57913

Cadet
What is your TrueNAS version? What is your jail version?

You need to run a current supported version of TrueNAS and a current supported version of FreeBSD in your jail. That means 13.0-U3 for TrueNAS and 13.1-p3 for the jail.
Didn't realize that I was behind on my updates to truenas still on 12

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
While TrueNAS 12 might still be considered supported by iXsystems, the base FreeBSD release isn't. That becomes a problem only when you try to run jails - which use standard FreeBSD mechanisms for update, package install and the like.

If you are reluctant to upgrade your TrueNAS just now, you might try to upgrade your jails to FreeBSD 12.3 (and 12.4 soon). There is some probability that might work, but it's not guaranteed.

To be sure about all software versions you need to got to TN 13 and FreeBSD 13.1 for the jails.

techsavior

Cadet
This may take a while, but you can install the patched version manually via the command line by entering the following commands:

Code:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsegaert/iocage-plugin-index/mineos_py39/mineos.json

EDIT: The patch was merged; these command are no longer needed for TrueNAS 12. If you're running FreeNAS 11.3, replace the first line with fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jsegaert/iocage-my-plugins/11.4-RELEASE/mineos.json instead

EDIT: Now updated for TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 / FreeBSD 12.3 and Python 3.9
Every time I attempt the "mineos_py39" path within the shell, the fetch command returns a "not found" error.