Migrating from Truenas Core VM to Truenas Scale baremetal

epicurean

Cadet
I have a stable Core(latest version) VM running in proxmox, and wish to move to a Scale baremetal setup.
What is the best practice for migration (I have 2 pools of data that I cannot lose). I intend to use the same proxmox server for the Scale baremetal setup
What is the current best practice for the boot drive? Mirror SSDs or a satadom will do? The motherboard is a supermicro X9DRD

Much thanks for any advice.

regards

artlessknave

Wizard
1. obligatory please read forum rules.
if you don't have backups, then you can, in fact, lose it. raidz or mirror is not backups.
if losing it is not an option, then you have to make sure loosing it *is not an option*.
best practise would be to build a new server with truenas SCALE, replicate your data, test the new configuration, and then nuke the older config (or, even better, use the old config as a backup server)
short of that, again, backups. backups of backups. offsite backup of the backups is even better...
from what I have seen on the forums so far? backups........

artlessknave

Wizard
depends on what you want, really. SATADOMs are SSDs IIRC, just in a supermicro proprietary, powered format. ultimately, your boot drive being mirrors is a convenience for you, your backups of your system are your config backups, and can be restored anytime. if you have a config backup, and a data backup, you can recover from buldozering the main system.