Migrating data to another pool on SCALE

fidgety

Cadet
Hi, looking for a bit of advice about migrating my data to another pool in SCALE. I have TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.
I have replication set up and it is working fine - I can see the expected files at the destination.
I have moved the system dataset pool to boot-pool and rebooted. At this point I'd expect that all system processes are running on boot-pool.
I'm aiming to follow the process outlined here: Howto: migrate data from one pool to a bigger pool
However, when I try to export/disconnect the replication source, tank, I get the warning:

export-disconnect.JPG

and there is a long list of processes using tank:

- systemd - systemd - systemd - systemd - systemd - dbus-daemon - blkmapd - blkmapd - blkmapd - systemd-udevd - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - python3 - python3 - python3 - python3 - python3 - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - dhclient - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - middlewared (wo - mdadm - systemd-journal - systemd-journal - systemd-journal - systemd-journal - systemd-journal - rpcbind - smartd - smartd - smartd - nscd - nscd - nscd - systemd-logind - systemd-logind - systemd-logind - systemd-logind - systemd-logind - zed - zed - zed - zed - zed - zed - zed - syslog-ng - syslog-ng - syslog-ng - winbindd - winbindd - winbindd - nginx - nginx - nginx - nginx - nginx - nginx - nginx - nginx - cli - cli - cli - cli - cli - cli - cli - cron - winbindd - winbindd - winbindd - rrdcached - rrdcached - rrdcached - winbindd - winbindd - winbindd - systemd-machine - libvirtd - winbindd - winbindd - winbindd - avahi-daemon - avahi-daemon - wsdd.py - smbd - smbd - smbd - smbd-notifyd - smbd-notifyd - smbd-notifyd - cleanupd - cleanupd - cleanupd - virtlogd - collectd - ntpd - ntpd - ntpd - smbd - smbd - smbd - smbd - smbd

Clearly, this is not going to work... if I go ahead and export/disconnect anyway, the GUI crashes and systemd keeps restarting on the console until I get fed up and reboot.

Here is the confirmation that I've moved the system processes to boot-pool:

System dataset pool.JPG

but it doesn't look like this is working as expected.

Have I missed something or is this a bug ?

Thanks in advance!

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm wondering if you missed a step when migrating the system dataset?

fidgety

Cadet
It's a single drop-down to select a pool, then "save"...

dropdown.JPG

Nick2253

Wizard
That's a headscratcher for sure.

Do you have any shares, jails, VMs, or similar running on the TrueNAS System?

I'd expect to see at least at least a few of those processes using the main pool (for example, I'm pretty sure TrueNAS uses systemd to mount the ZFS volumes), but things like Winbind and SMB indicate that there's some kind of share that's using the pool "tank".

In theory, the "Export/Disconnect" service should be able to handle these, so you may be looking at a bug of some sort.

fidgety

Cadet
Yes, I have a couple of VMs. However, I shut them down before starting the export/disconnect process, so any processes associated with them should have stopped. I could understand why SMB would use the pool for a share, but things like NTP, not so much.

I think you are right, a bug report is the next step. I just wanted to be sure there isn't a control hidden somewhere that fixes this problem, that has to be used before starting export/disconnect. Thank you.

Nick2253

Wizard

ropeguru

Dabbler
Yes, I have a couple of VMs. However, I shut them down before starting the export/disconnect process, so any processes associated with them should have stopped. I could understand why SMB would use the pool for a share, but things like NTP, not so much.

I think you are right, a bug report is the next step. I just wanted to be sure there isn't a control hidden somewhere that fixes this problem, that has to be used before starting export/disconnect. Thank you.
Did you find a fix for this? I am in the same situation as what you had.

I have one VM which is shutdown but still have the long list of services when trying to export a pool. The initial move ended with an error on the move to boot-pool about unable to mount syslogng.

sretalla