Migrated to new Pool, Scrub becomes very slow around 50% done, No errors logged

jimp

Dabbler
I am in the process of migrating to TrueNAS Scale on a system that started as FreeNAS and is currently TrueNAS Core. The process involves discontinuing the pools that were using FreeBSD's GELI (Legacy Encryption) and migrating the data to new pools using ZFS encryption. Two pools of media merged into one, but I'm having trouble with the last pool. It contains all the user data, normally accessed over SMB from various PCs.

Basically what I've done is create a new pool with ZFS encryption using disks that are identical to the old ones (which had their data migrated off to new drives already). I will probably replace these within another year, but for now I'm just trying to remove the GELI encryption. So I have two pools on four identical HDDs that I'm working with at the moment:

1) Mirror of two 4TB WD Red drives (Model WD40EFRX-68W) - using Legacy encryption
2) Mirror of two 4TB WD Red drives (Model WD40EFRX-68W) - using ZFS encryption

Steps leading up to this issue:

1) I used rsync to copy the files to the new pool.
2) I used rsync again to verify the data using the --checksum option.
3) A month passed. I switched the Samba config to use the new data sets (new pool). But I repeated steps 1 and 2 to pull in data that was written to the old pool. This is where the problem enters.
4) During the second verify (rsync --checksum), one of the drives in the new pool had a read error, ZFS fixed it, and I decided to do a scrub to see if everything was really okay. The scrub starts out fast, but around 52% it suddenly slows way down.

After 12 hours, I stopped the scrub and restarted it. This morning it was 54% with 8 hours to go (and climbing). There are no errors in the log and what really puzzles me is the previous pool (with GELI) can scrub in 8 hours total.

At the time of this post, the new pool's srub it is 58% complete with 8.5 hrs to go, no errors reported, and all morning long the read rate on both drives has been a steady 4 to 6 MB/s with ~200 IOP with 98-100% busy on both drives. However, "gstat -f /" just a moment ago became reporting now the scrub is running at 80-90MB/s. I haven't changed anything while writing this post, but unless it slows down again it is on track for finishing within a couple hours now.

Before

1675184250678.png

Now

1675184179028.png

All of the drives have passed the short SMART test, but I haven't run the long one yet because the of the scrub running. But I'm posting because this is all very confusing for me. The only difference is the encryption used, one on the entire disk and the other integrated into ZFS. The hardware and data are the same, and my system isn't reporting errors besides that single read error yesterday (which could have been an event not caused by the HDD itself).

Can there be an issue with how the scrub processes encrypted data vs unencrypted (since ZFS sees GELI as unencrypted)? Could the speed differences be found in the size of files, maybe the slow parts are happening on small files? Overall I'm nervous the hardware is bad, although I only have one read error (ever), but perhaps more importantly I'm wondering if I configured the new pool wrong and this is the only time I can fix it.

jimp

Dabbler
It got to 62% and slowed down again. No errors.

1675186916137.png
1675186966420.png

(The 40.0 MB/s is an average that started at over 2 GB/s, which I presume was a miscalculation as it skipped over free space.)

jimp

Dabbler
4 hours later, only 3% more complete.
1675201559714.png

I just started a scrub on the old pool (GELI), and it has been running at 100 MB/s for 7.4% complete and 7.5 hours to go.
1675201616709.png

And still no logged errors for the drives.

1675201692255.png

4 MB/s vs 130 MB/s right now. Could I be lacking some proper tuning on the new pool? Difference in encryption acceleration?

jimp

Dabbler
I just rebooted the server and the speed on both pools has returned to normal. Scrub is currently running at 84 MB/s and climbing.

1675205321209.png

I have not unlocked the ZFS encryption yet (password based). I'll try that within 1 hour to see if it slows down once it is unlocked.

jimp

Dabbler
It hasn't slowed down. Both pools scrubbing at 103 to 116 MB/s.

1675208122616.png

I just unlocked the ZFS encrypted pool to see if the speed reduces in the last 1.5 hr estimated.

jimp

Dabbler
It hasn't slowed any. No disk errors, no scrub errors. Once this finishes I'll conclude with long SMART tests.

1675212199665.png

But I'm starting to think turning it off and back on again was the only thing that was going to fix this.

jimp

Dabbler
1675214753656.png

All done. No logged errors. No data repaired. 20 hours total, but after the reboot it only took 3 more hours to scrub the remaining 33%.

Very confusing! Unless someone has any ideas, I'll just assume the single read error triggered something in the ZFS code that slowed it down from that point on. This has historically been very stable hardware, so I don't know if I'm chasing a one off or a real issue.