Middlewared having a memory leak in 22.02.0?

Whiskydrinker

Dabbler
The question is how much memory should the middlewared normally consume. Because right now it feels like it's leaking memory to me.

My server has 16 gigs of RAM and currently runs TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.

As I'm writing this my current uptime is 1 day 15:42. Before this reboot my uptime was pretty close to 16 days. And at the end of it middlewared was using close to 35% of the memory in htop and the system was telling me that it was running out of memory. So I rebooted it.

Now after the reboot and when the whole system had settled in after a few minutes middlewared was using 6.3% of memory in htop. Right now we are yet again at 10.2%. This looks like the middlewared's memory consumption is growing by approximately 0.1% per hour uptime. This growth also fits nicely with the last uptime's memory consumption of middlewared at the end.

So can somebody else here check his memory consumption of middlewared using htop and look after how much uptime how much memory is being used by it?

mjtbrady

Cadet
I haven't dug into it yet, but I observed what I think is the same behavior yesterday.

Can't remember exactly what the up time was (something like two weeks), but according to htop middlewared was consuming 65% of RAM and growing. top reported the process as asyncio_loop, which I assume is a middlewared thread. This is on a test system that is doing nothing. No users, no shares, no apps. no VMs.

This system only has 8GB of RAM so things were starting to fail. A reboot took about 15 minutes to complete. I assume due to the lack of RAM.

The system has now been up for 24 hours and middlewared/asyncio_loop is now consuming 20.6% of RAM and growing.

Whiskydrinker

Dabbler
Yes, asyncio_loop is part of middlewared. With your system having 8 gigs of RAM 65% of memory consumption after around two weeks of uptime is in the same ballpark as 35% on mine with 16 gigs of RAM.

Since my posting from yesterday my middlewared has grown to 12.5% of memory right now.

xygnal

Cadet
I'm on the same version, having the same problem.

2577 root 20 0 7524600 4.0g 9016 S 0.7 25.5 1056:28 asyncio_loop

Rebooting, or directly killing the process, drops the memory usage until it has time to climb again.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Consuming memory isn't necessarily leaking it. Processes that cache or build indexes can certainly show linear growth in some circumstances and not be leaky.

I don't run asyncio on my SCALE systems, so can't say anything other than the middleware takes a good chunk of memory on a system that's been running for 26 days which runs containers (about 16%), which is almost identical to another which has been up for 27 days and runs VMs. Both have 64GB. Also identical (in GB, not %) to another that has 32GB and runs nothing but shares that aren't accessed.

It's certainly worth a ticket if somebody wants to upload their dumps and ask iX to look at it.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Consuming memory isn't necessarily leaking it. Processes that cache or build indexes can certainly show linear growth in some circumstances and not be leaky.

I don't run asyncio on my SCALE systems, so can't say anything other than the middleware takes a good chunk of memory on a system that's been running for 26 days which runs containers (about 16%), which is almost identical to another which has been up for 27 days and runs VMs. Both have 64GB. Also identical (in GB, not %) to another that has 32GB and runs nothing but shares that aren't accessed.

It's certainly worth a ticket if somebody wants to upload their dumps and ask iX to look at it.
Maybe worth checking on master to see if it's still there first. There were some memory leak fixes that have gone in after 22.02 IIRC.

xygnal

Cadet

I didn't know you could run without asyncio, or are you saying you run without middlewared and what it provides all together?

--

For anyone else having this issue, have you expanded beyond the stock application catalogs?

sretalla