Memory not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldkat

Dabbler
This is my first FreeNAS build, using latest v11. My computer has a 64 bit processor and 8gb of memory, confirmed in the BIOs, but the install only recognized 2gb of memory. Any ideas?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs? Does the bios even see all the memory?

oldkat

Dabbler
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz on a Dell Vostro 400 platform with Intel® G33 chipset. I have four 2gb sticks mounted in the slots, one small harddrive (150gb) for the boot system and two WD 1tb drives running for storage.
The system BIOs do recognize the full 8gb of system memory, but the FreeNAS system install only picked up 2gb and the Netdata service only shows 2gb being used.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz on a Dell Vostro 400 platform with Intel® G33 chipset. I have four 2gb sticks mounted in the slots, one small harddrive (150gb) for the boot system and two WD 1tb drives running for storage.
The system BIOs do recognize the full 8gb of system memory, but the FreeNAS system install only picked up 2gb and the Netdata service only shows 2gb being used.
There are a lot of limitations with hardware that old. Supposedly, that chip-set allows access to 8GB of RAM, but I have one that will boot to the BIOS and show that 8GB is installed but the operating system will only access 4GB. It is like they programmed limitations into the system during fabrication based on the amount of money you paid for it. They are also not very good performers, and I still have one, but I use it for Linux. I think you are going to need something a generation or two newer. You should have a look at the hardware guide:

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

oldkat

Dabbler
so I should upgrade the motherboard? I have the system up and running within it's limitations and don't have much money to spend upgrading.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
so I should upgrade the motherboard? I have the system up and running within it's limitations and don't have much money to spend upgrading.
The big problem is that FreeNAS needs 8GB of memory for minimal functionality. If FreeNAS is only able to see 2GB of the memory, even though it appears to boot up, it may crash at random, unpredictable times. You need a system that can actually access 8GB at a minimum and this is (based on what you said) not doing that.
If you pickup used parts from eBay, you can put together a system that will work reliably for just a few hundred dollars.
We might even be able to reuse some of the components you have. Can you give the full details of all the parts you are using?

I know you said you didn't have much to spend. If you can give some idea what kind of budget you can work with, I will try to find something that would work.

Last edited:

oldkat

Dabbler
Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town. I've checked everything possible and it just doesn't make sense that FreeNAS does not recognize the 8gib of memory that I have installed on my computer. All info on my processor, motherboard, and chipset indicate that they are compatible, and my bios confirm the availability of 8gib RAM installed.
What would keep the FreeNAS install from recognizing what the system bios clearly state is available?

ethereal

Guru
It's probably your hardware not FreeNAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldkat

Dabbler
Doesn't make sense that the BIOS see it, but FreeNAS doesn't.

Redcoat

MVP
Can you try installing another OS on it for comparison purposes? Windows?

oldkat

Dabbler
I had thought to try that, but I hate to stop things and start all over. It is running fine (it is functioning only as a home server, no real loads) and I am tired of restarting the process as I've done it now over 10 times in the last month looking for the best solution to my home server needs. I may get froggy and try that later. Just wish there was support from Intel or Dell on this issue, but my hardware is past the age where they still do so.

ethereal

Guru
Doesn't make sense that the BIOs see it, but FreeNAS doesn't.

it does make sense. somebody has reported their experience of this happening. and you were advised to read the hardware guide - he also asked what your budget was and he would help you find something - but you seem to be ignoring his advice and personal experiance

ethereal

Guru
also you've been advised the minimum memory for FreeNAS is 8gb if you run it with 2gb you can have random crashes and possible data loss

if you lose data and ask for help many people will not help because you were told not to run it with 2gb

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
it's probably your hardware not freenas
I was trying to make an analogy by talking about my hardware of similar vintage. The BIOS of that system recognizes 8GB of RAM as being present, but it tells you right in the BIOS that only 4GB will be usable. Why, I don't know and don't really care, but I do know that both Windows and Linux will only address 4GB of RAM on that system. I have tried. So, I only use it for what it can do, and I have never tried to run FreeNAS on it. I guess I was not plain enough in my meaning.

Doesn't make sense that the BIOs see it, but FreeNAS doesn't.
It may not makes sense, but a thing either works or it doesn't. The problem is not with FreeNAS. Again, I suggest that you get a newer component and relegate this component to the recycle bin.

I had thought to try that, but I hate to stop things and start all over. It is running fine (it is functioning only as a home server, no real loads) and I am tired of restarting the process as I've done it now over 10 times in the last month looking for the best solution to my home server needs. I may get froggy and try that later. Just wish there was support from Intel or Dell on this issue, but my hardware is past the age where they still do so.
There is a reason that nobody support this hardware, they have moved on to hardware that actually works. These older systems never did work very well. FreeNAS is not intended to run on 2GB of RAM, so if that is all that the system is recognizing, you will eventually have a significant problem.

Make sure that the BIOS on the board is the latest version. While it may be showing it must be something like version 1.0.15 or newer to properly work.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...400-Processor-Memory-Upgrade-Info/m-p/3136020

No matter what though the system will be sub standard and only work as a bit of a file storage system. I would not expect to use any jails with it let alone attempt a VM. Mess around with it for now if you can get all the ram to work until you can build out a proper system but that is about it. You would honestly be better off using it with Linux as a something to mess around with and learn or grab a copy of FreeBSD and play with the command line.

oldkat

Dabbler
Hey ethereal, I'm not ignoring any advise, I'm discussing the issue and seeking to understand. I'm a novice with BSD and Linux systems, but not with computers. I've worked in the computer field for over 40 years and have never encountered a time when system firmware and system OS failed to utilize available system resources.

nightshade00013 - Thanks. That's exactly what I am doing. I've tried several server packages and FreeNAS was the only one (so far) that made it easy to setup the system with RAID. I worked for weeks trying to get Amanhi and Fedora setup the way I wanted, but just wasn't able to get them to work for me.

oldkat

Dabbler
Finally!!!!! Found the correct info, after many tries, for BIO upgrade and now the server is recognizing the full 8gib of memory. I truey thought I had a working set of hardware and now I know for sure.

Finally!!!!! Found the correct info, after many tries, for BIO upgrade and now the server is recognizing the full 8gib of memory. I truey thought I had a working set of hardware and now I know for sure.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that solve the problem. Been there done that and learned the lesson. Now you have as well. Remember it for the next time or the next guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.